Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a position as a Deck Cadet (Cruise Ships)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewisscott22
    replied
    Re: Getting a position as a Deck Cadet (Cruise Ships)?

Hello Randomist,

Thanks for the advice.
    What qualifications do you have and at what grade?
    What sort of questions do they ask you in the tests?
    Would you suggest applying now or later?

Thanks.

Lewis.

Leave a comment:

• Lewisscott22
    replied

Hello Charlie,
    Firstly, thank you very much for the welcome!
    I do understand that there are many other companies that also do cruise ships, However Carnival UK is apparently the biggest recruiter for cruise ships. Clyde Marine Training says that places for Royal Caribbean International are almost impossible to get into.
    -Open Days- I have not as of yet, do you have any dates or locations?
    -Job- I am a part time Life guard.
    -I have been on many Ferries, once travelling to Greenland in 'Bad' conditions. I have also obtained my lifeboat licence.
    -Connections- My Grandfather was a merchant navy deck engineer.
    - I think to be honest I am set on Cruise ships, I would like to travel the world and visit amazing locations and have the same opportunities as the passengers.

What qualifications do you have and at what grades? Do not answer the question if you don't want to.
    Which company are you with?

Thanks again.
    Lewis.

Leave a comment:

• Randomist
    replied

Originally posted by Beef1992
    do cruise companies take on 16 year olds talking to come guys at an open day once they said they take 18 year olds minimum which i will be in july . but mainly recruit older people . for reasons such as in the US you have to be 21 to drink etc. if so then it may be more difficult to get a position but you never know until you try
    I don't know what the official company policy is. I've not met any other Carnival cadets under 18. I was 17 when I applied and was 18 shortly after the start of term.

Best advice is ring the company and see what they say

Leave a comment:

• Randomist
    replied

Hi Lewis,

When I went to my Carnival assessment there were around 8 people there. The assesment centre has some applitide tests and an interview. Competition is quite high and I count myself lucky that I got a cadetship with them.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to show your interest, get in touch with the sponsors, prepare well for the interview and get yourself noticed.

I hope all goes well

Leave a comment:

• Beef1992
    replied

do cruise companies take on 16 year olds talking to come guys at an open day once they said they take 18 year olds minimum which i will be in july . but mainly recruit older people . for reasons such as in the US you have to be 21 to drink etc. if so then it may be more difficult to get a position but you never know until you try

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

Hi Lewis,

First of all, welcome!

Second, don't be too set on Carnival - remember that Carnival, Princess, and Viking all recruit solely for cruise, while SSTG and Clyde have some cruise companies in their portfolios. The crusing side of the MN is a very popular choice and as such these companies get many applications each year, and there are many who don't get past the application stage.

The application and interview process varies by company, and you'll find that not many are willing to go into the intimate details of what's involved, but in a lot of cases there's aptitude tests, maths tests, group exercises and a personal interview.

Few questions for you:

- Have you been to any open days?
    - Do you have a part time job?
    - Do you have any experience of being at sea?
    - Do you have any connections with the merchant navy?
    - Are you dead set on cruises or would you consider the "business end" of the merchant navy, i.e. container ships, tankers, support vessels etc?

Again, welcome, you'll find there's lots of people on here who are more than willing to help!

CD

Leave a comment:

• Getting a position as a Deck Cadet (Cruise Ships)?

Hi All,

So firstly, I live in Scotland, 16 years of age and attending my final year at high school. So far I have 8 Standard Grades all at 1-3 and my predicted grades are as follows: Higher Physics- B, Higher Geography- B, Int 2 Maths A, and Int 2 English A. I am taking higher maths and higher english.

Now I have been scanning all over the web for some decent information on 'breaking into' the Industry (mainly Carnival UK). Luckily I came across this site! To be honest I am not an A grade student, however I am a very open person, will put in maximum effort and always see the good in people.

So this is mainly aimed at Carnival UK (or any other Cruise line company).

So whats the application process?
    How many people attend the event?
    What sort of questions are asked?
    Are there any tests using Maths and/or Physics?
    Can you give me examples?

Much obliged.

Lewis Scott
Working...
X