Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a position as a Deck Cadet (Cruise Ships)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting a position as a Deck Cadet (Cruise Ships)?

Kayak, I think that is correct. the only two cruise companies that are available with CMT are RCI and The Magical Cruise Company. Are there any others that you know of?
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

regent seven seas . some lad was on her the other day saying clyde had sent him for an interview with them so they must be new
      Maybe I will never be
      All the things that I want to be
      But now is not the time to cry
      Now's the time to find out why

Comment

when are you looking to start i take it Jan 2011 or Sept 2011. and apply for all of the compaines you can that way you can pick the best
        Maybe I will never be
        All the things that I want to be
        But now is not the time to cry
        Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Hi Lewis,

I totally agree with Randomist, that you must get yourself noticed!
          Make yourself stand out amongst the hundreds (or thousands) of applicants.
          Enthusiasm, interest and detailed research will also get you far at the interview.

You should consider being open to the possibility of container ships and fuel tankers too, as once you've qualified you can always apply for jobs on cruise ships.

Good luck though!
          I Aear c?n ven na mar. (Elvish)
          Ee eye-are kahn vehn nah mar. (Pronunciation)
          The Sea calls us home. (English translation)

Comment

Erm my plan is to finish High School first, so probably Sept 2011 or even Jan 2012. I will persue this career and will get a position even if it takes a few years.
            "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
            "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Comment

OK thanks rennells, If Cruise ships become too much, I will probably apply to Maersk. Are they any good?

Comment

I'm with Saga Cruises, and am really looking forward to starting in September.
                Saga usually only sponsor 1-2 cadets each year, so I feel very privileged to have been accepted by them.

I was so determined to get into this industry though, that if I couldn't get a cruise ship company to sponsor me, I would have definitely considered Container ships, so I could get my Officer of the Watch qualification.
                I Aear c?n ven na mar. (Elvish)
                Ee eye-are kahn vehn nah mar. (Pronunciation)
                The Sea calls us home. (English translation)

Comment

You can actually do your CPSC (I presume that's what is now called PSCRB) before you actually go to sea, the same with your EDH (Efficient Deck hand) ticket. Once you've completed the required 6 months seatime your certificates can then be issued.
                  Until a few years ago it was preferable that you did these courses before going to sea, the idea being that it'll give you a better grounding in what's going on once you get there.
                  However these courses together with the Advanced Fire Fighting course have now been shifted to the tail end of many cadetships because of the problem of people dropping out after their first trip to sea, hence the money is wasted.
                  This is despite the fact that in real terms these courses don't actually cost the companies concerned any money due to the tax breaks they receive for training cadets and Government funded grants!

Comment

Yeah, I know some people do the course before they get the sea time. For some reason, the centres I've been to have insited on 6 months seatime before I took the course

To boldly go.....
                    Forum Administrator
                    OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist
                      ...the centres I've been to...
                      Is the PSCRB not done as part of the cadetship at college?
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

yeah, it is. I was attempting to protect some annonimity by not naming a college =]

To boldly go.....
                        Forum Administrator
                        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Ahhh I see
                          sigpic
                          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Guys I know you say that the Cruise Companies want highers, but would it be ok if I apply for some of them now? I do not get my higher results until the 5th of August.

Comment

You have most likely missed the recruitment for this september/october intake... although you might get lucky if someone has pulled out - so if it is this years intake you want to apply for, there is no harm sending your CV off now - although if they offer you anything it will be provisional on the basis you meet their requirements in August.

If you are applying for January / next year you are as well waiting until after you receive your results, since they wont start looking at them until after this years have started.
                              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Right, I think I will wait for my results then because I doubt I will get a position at the moment.

Now here is a question I forgot to ask you guys. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult would you say your highers/A levels were? And then again on a scale of 1-10 how difficult would you say the HND/FD course?

Just so I can get a rough idea.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X