Cruise holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise holidays

I occasionally get taken on cruises by my family. Just wondering whether adding this to my CV will improve my chances of getting sponsored/employed in any way? I would be used to the idea of sailing and being on a big ship afterall

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
    I occasionally get taken on cruises by my family. Just wondering whether adding this to my CV will improve my chances of getting sponsored/employed in any way? I would be used to the idea of sailing and being on a big ship afterall
    It's hard to say.... From one perspective it could be taken as "he only wants to do it cause he thinks it's like a holiday" - but on the other hand you could also take the view point that at least they know a little about what our ships are like.

Are you applying to cruise companies? If you do, I wouldn't make a big point of it, but ultimately up to you, maybe as a hobbies / interest bit "I enjoy travelling - including having been on several cruises"? Or don't mention it, and if opportunity appears during interview slip it in.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I wouldn't put it in a CV after all what would you put it under its not work experience.

however as Alistair says if the opportunity comes along in the interview 'I always have enjoyed engineering and having been on several cruises with my family was interested in the size and stuff of a ship' is kinda a good stock answer to why you want to do the job.
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
        I wouldn't put it in a CV after all what would you put it under its not work experience.

however as Alistair says if the opportunity comes along in the interview 'I always have enjoyed engineering and having been on several cruises with my family was interested in the size and stuff of a ship' is kinda a good stock answer to why you want to do the job.
        Yup yup! There is a massive difference between actually working on a cruise ship and just being a passie on one and putting it in a CV would give me the impression that you didn't really know the difference.
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I dunno I would of thought including it would be good if applying for cruises, if I remember rightly carnival ask you to write why you want a cadetship maybe include it in there that you do go cruising and wondered what goes on behind the scenes and stuff, not massive and it shouldn't be the key to why you want a cadetship but no harm in including it.

I wouldn't for other companies unless at the interview you struggle with a question you could relate it to that

Comment

One question.... did you visit the Engine room on any of the ships? If not then I wouldn't bother including it on your CV and just save it for interview if it comes up.
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulman View Post
              I dunno I would of thought including it would be good if applying for cruises, if I remember rightly carnival ask you to write why you want a cadetship maybe include it in there that you do go cruising and wondered what goes on behind the scenes and stuff, not massive and it shouldn't be the key to why you want a cadetship but no harm in including it.

I wouldn't for other companies unless at the interview you struggle with a question you could relate it to that
              Yeah I suppose it would fit in the 'cover letter' aspect as well still not really in the actual CV but if they want more its a good anecdote to put in an application.
              you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                One question.... did you visit the Engine room on any of the ships? If not then I wouldn't bother including it on your CV and just save it for interview if it comes up.
                Yeah on a cruise with NCL they were offering a tour in the engine room, deck and the wash rooms. It was expensive but me and my family had a look around because it was around the time I started saying I wanted to work in an engine room.

Comment

In that case it would definitely be something worth mentioning in interview/covering letter. Obviously don't use it as your sole reason for wanting to go to sea but include the fact that you have actually been in an engine room/spoke to officers etc.

Comment

I wouldn't. If I was the interviewer or potential employer I would look at this and assume you think you'll be treated as you would on one of your usual cruises. It's good you've had a look around a few behind the scenes rooms but it's so insignificant it's probably not even worth mentioning.

However, if being on a cruise was what inspired you to want to work at sea I suppose you could mention that if you are asked something along those lines.

Comment

I think it would be ideal on a CV, it would set you apart from someone who had never seen a ship before... If you confidentially discuss how you met the officers onboard and visited the bridge/engine room then you would be able to show a good motivation for the job.

Comment

Working...
                      X