Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Path..

Hey,

just wondering if money was no issue, what would be better..

a 5 years masters degree in marine engineering, which includes a 1 year of experience,

orrrr

just the normal hnd/fd route?

which would be better for the future, employability and salary etccc.

Depends what sort of job you want, degree for office/management/design but cadetship for being on ship, don't think I met any one working who hadn't done it through the cadetship route, but obviously it's not unheard of.

Comment

As said above the masters will probably be only beneficial if you come ashore. You will get the same salary as Someone with a lower qualification. If you are both ranked equal then both will get same pay.

Comment

Ahh okay, I was looking and lots of jobs require degrees for you to be considered, I was just wondering what my options could be for next year as I am finishing college next June

Comment

Originally posted by Herbatronical View Post
          Ahh okay, I was looking and lots of jobs require degrees for you to be considered, I was just wondering what my options could be for next year as I am finishing college next June
          What kind of jobs were you looking at ? I think most companies want to know your competent and can do the job rather than have a nice flashy certificate. Although it's another thing to separate you from another candidate.

Comment

If you actually want to work at sea, then you will need to do some aspect of the cadetship, so either the FD route or a regular degree and then a fast track year to cover all the marine bits that you wouldn't get at a degree.

much later it would be a better route to have a masters degree but at twice as long it will slow you down for actually working on ships
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Thanks for all your replies,

Did I mention that the degree is a sandwich and after your second year, you can do a year in industry, dont know if this would be the same as the sea phases with the cadetship but it sounds similar.
              Was just wondering incase I dont get a cadetship, I want to have a backup that would still be worthwhile

Cheers

Comment

It's similar in that they believe to make a decent course you actually need some real world exposure, however with the cadetship the sea time has the requirement that you achieve a set of specific goals as laid out in a training record book so one wouldn't be a substitute for the other.

Ive known a few engineers to do the fast track and it was about a year, the did intense courses on some of the marine subjects, completed the laid down book of workshop skills so lots of turning and milling about the safety courses (about a month of them) and then had to go to sea to get the required sea time, was 6 months now 8?

in honesty if that was the route you wanted as a fall back you would be better doing a three year general engineering degree, however the masters degree will provide better opportunity's outside working on ship.
                you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Cheers for your reply

Its not a definate, I just want a backup for cadetship, as I wasn't successful this past september intake, had multiple interviews but never passed, think it was due to my age as I am only 17, but I will be trying again next year

Cheers again for your replies

Comment

Working...
                  X