Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a Summer Job Abroad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking a Summer Job Abroad

    Hi everyone

    Just wondering what you think of this.

    There is a possibility that I will be offered a job teaching sailing aborad this summer, before I hopefully start training in september. It would mean flying out late june, after exams, and coming back in the last week of august, with a week in the middle in France for a different contract.

    My concern is if I'm offered an interview, or need a medical or visa, I wouldn't be able to get back for it.

    Is this a likely scenario, or am I worrying too much? I couldn't afford loads of flights back and forth, and I don't want to let anyone down or ruin my chances for the future!

    Any advice?
    Thanks

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

  • #2
    Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
    My concern is if I'm offered an interview, or need a medical or visa, I wouldn't be able to get back for it.
    Depending on where you are going, there are doctors abroad who can issue ENG1s, and you could possibly go to the local US embassy/consulate in the country where you are working in order to obtain the visa. Have you looked into either of those items?

    Comment


    • #3
      Have you already been offered a cadetship? If so contract your sponsoring company to clear it with them first. If not I would probably wait until you get offered a cadetship before you take this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Depending on where you are going, there are doctors abroad who can issue ENG1s, and you could possibly go to the local US embassy/consulate in the country where you are working in order to obtain the visa. Have you looked into either of those items?
        Most likely the Dublin area, but could also be spain or portugal for some variety!

        Originally posted by EH75 View Post
        Have you already been offered a cadetship? If so contract your sponsoring company to clear it with them first. If not I would probably wait until you get offered a cadetship before you take this.
        Still putting together my applications and working out why I want to go to sea!

        Thanks!


        Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
          Most likely the Dublin area, but could also be spain or portugal for some variety!
          Dublin is barely abroad! You wouldn't need to fly anywhere and you are within easy reach of Belfast on a bus.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you haven't had an interview by the time you would be going away then you really cant go as you would need to be able to get back for an interview which you might not get much notice of.

            ENG1 you could do before you went away and most companies wait till you actually start college before worrying about visas

            but until you get the applications in / an offer then you really cant make any decision
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

            Comment

            Working...
            X