Any Advice of what I can put on my 250 word description of why I want to go to sea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • linnez
    • September 2013

Any Advice of what I can put on my 250 word description of why I want to go to sea?

Hey i feel this is my weakness of the application...

I just need advice of what to include like I put enough of what i feel , but i just dont think its good enough :/
    Any advice of what i can include to give it abit of a boost and to help it out abit

Thanks guys
    Sam
  • HarmlessWeasel
    • November 2012

well, why do you want to go to sea? Have you ever sailed or been in sea cadets etc. Does it just fascinate you so much? Could you never do something like an office job because it's not enough of a challenge?

Try writing without a word limit and then reduce it. Read Hatchorder's CV writing article and use a similar approach.

Comment

• linnez
      • September 2013

On mine i written Ever since ive sailed on a cruise ship back in 2008 , I have been Fascinated by Sea life and i feel it is a job for me , And ill take a look now ;D cheers

Comment

• Martyboy
        • June 2010

I think I mentioned something about the careers at sea documentary which looked amazing etc... If you haven't seen it then you should watch it

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
          • November 2012

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
          I think I mentioned something about the careers at sea documentary which looked amazing etc... If you haven't seen it then you should watch it
          Aye that was brilliant

The link takes some hunting though so here you go linnez
          Watch live or catch up on all your favourite STV programmes. All the soaps, entertainment and drama you love plus STV Player exclusives and premieres

Comment

• Martyboy
            • June 2010

"Merchant navy STV" also works in google :P

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
              • November 2012

ah well it didn't about a year ago when I was looking

Comment

• Martyboy
                • June 2010

I could play the part in the documentary i've seen it that many times :P And i've heard on good authority that Capt Mark Carter isn't a bellend like he's made out on the video.

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
                  • November 2012

Yeah I heard that too. Played a part for the video

Comment

• Martyboy
                    • June 2010

Yea, my flatmate sailed with him on the Gateshead. I sailed on the Gairloch Miss the old G Classes terrible cadet cabins but lots of fun

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
                      • November 2012

Nice. Didn't realise anyone actually ever sailed on the Gateshead; it almost seems like an imaginary ship for US Embassy purposes...

Comment

• Martyboy
                        • June 2010

Awww your too young to remember them haha! We all done our first trips on a G Class as they held 10 cadets at a time, but then the borg done some which craft with crewing and outsourced them to Oslo Shipping Management. The G class used to be the place to be, when I was on board it had 5 Deck cadets, 3 engine cadets and a cadet training officer. Very sociable ship, the officers mess always had 5-10 people in it every night, Poker darts, wii and pub quiz's...... Where as the reality on most other ships is Knock off, eat, Cabin!

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
                          • November 2012

haha I'm possibly not as young as you think I am. Not ancient, but old enough to be vaguely irritated/amused by freshers...

Sounds like a good ship to be on. Alcohol-free beers I assume?

Comment

• Martyboy
                            • June 2010

Young in terms of your cadetship :P Mostly soft drinks although we did have the non-alcoholic beer onboard. It's usually about ?7 for 24 cans so we'd all fill the fridge in the mess up with our individual drinks and then play poker Sometimes compulsory poker, depending on how the old man was feeling.

Comment

• linnez
                              • September 2013

Thanks for the help Guys ill watch it when im in the shower ahahahah just got back from the Gym

Comment

Working...
                              X