Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also make sure it's quick, unique and interesting. They may have looked at a hundred before you and a hundred after. Make it stand out as early as possible!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jacob44 View Post
      Also make sure it's quick, unique and interesting. They may have looked at a hundred before you and a hundred after. Make it stand out as early as possible!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
      Not too unique and interesting though :-P

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you so much for the article Ian, is very useful for deck cadets who are looking for our first job =)

Comment

Originally posted by Alvaro.Jimenez View Post
          Thank you so much for the article Ian, is very useful for deck cadets who are looking for our first job =)
          My pleasure, seems to have helped even more than cadets. A few qualified officers looking for their first jobs and even someone not related to the sea used it to revamp their own CV!

Ian
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I have been away for a while and just opened a wonderful Private Message. I have edited it to protect the innocent (and not so innocent) but you will see why I had to when you read it:

Hi Hatchorder,

Not been on the site for quite some time but just seen a few posts and there you are helping people out again and offering advice. We just wanted to say a big thank you really for all your help and advice during my sons application and interview process. Also the advice for the first few weeks at college and his first sea phase. He was only young when he started and so it was a huge thing for us. He has adapted well, we have always traveled as a family and so that doesn't bother him. He doesn't get home sick at all ( not sure how to take that !) He had one little wobble two weeks into his first voyage as he did not seem to be able to do anything right as far as the captain was concerned, he really struggled. Then a change of crew and he has not looked back. He was away for three months came home for a few weeks and then went off for another two months. He is loving it. He is now back at college.......................

(Personal details edited out to prevent shades of red and uncomfortable wriggling by a particular cadet!)

.................. Much of his success is down to the preparation he did to get in and that is where the likes of you and Cheify came in. You may not realise how much help you give these young people and how much of a comfort your words are to worried parents. I hope our son goes on to make a success of his career at sea but he knows he still has to work hard for another couple of years to make the grade.

A huge thank you to you and please keep up the good work as it is greatly appreciated.

Parents of Deck Cadet xxxxxxxxxxxx
            So, a big thank you for ALL the people who contribute and help potential cadets, we all seem to be helping not only the cadets but their wider families and a special thanks to Chiefy as mentioned above.

Personally I value the senior members of this forum for the selfless time they give to helping others and would love to sit down and have a beer with them sometime - my shout!

Finally a huge thanks to the parent who sent me the Private Message. Thank you for taking the time to sit and write it and for the sentiment s in it - they mean a lot to me.

Ian
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

seeking cv advise - drew

Hi Ian,

thank you for the article it has really helped with getting my head around what it takes to get be ready to start applying,

I would be truly grateful if I could get some advise on my cv, and covering letter. I have read as many articles on the forum to get me this far..

I am trying to go down the route of less qualifications and more at sea experience, and being a more mature cadet, which I have seen on here that its possible up to 50 years old.

I will look forward to hearing from you
              Drew

Comment

The link seems to be broken. Is the articles section no more, or will it return in the near future?

Comment

Working...
                X