Naval Architecture book/website recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Architecture book/website recommendation

Can anyone recommend an introductory book or helpful website which deals with cadet-level Naval Architecture. I suspect it's not going to be my strongest area so I'm keen to stay on top of it!
    Check out the blog!

http://www.rudder-nonsense.blogspot.co.uk/

what college are you at?

Comment

Just read your blog, sorry cant help you there!

For anyone at Warsash, i went to Solent to do Naval Architecture and the library there is fully stocked with a boggling amount of books on the matter probably worth a trip into the city.

Comment

How much naval architecture is involved in the deck course?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

I cant tell you that, perhaps someone more qualified can reply. However as for anyone starting warsash this year if you do need help on naval architecture should it come up let me know.

Comment

Ta, hopefully I won't have to take you up on it but cheers all the same

Comment

HW - lots.

Mostly stability, but I believe a little construction as well.

Don't worry the college will build you up to it slowly. For those of you who did A-level maths and can remember wondering where on earth you will ever use simpson's rule, congratulations you are about to find out.
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Did A level maths but I'll be buggered if I can remember what simpsons rule is

Comment

area under a curve trust me its more fun than using calculus.

Comment

The "ship stability OOW" book by Martin Rhodes is excellent and will help you throughout your cadetship. One of the few books I actually purchased instead of taking out of the library. Lot of questions and worked examples. If you want to get a head start on stability this is where I would start. Along with celestial navigation and navigational maths it's probably the most challenging part of the course mathematically so trying to get on top of it now is probably quite sensible, although not strictly necessary.

Construction aspect of the course was significantly less taxing so I don't think I've ever looked at a book for that, just used my notes.

For reference the only other set of books I purchased during my cadetship were the NavBasics ones which are also very very good and really useful for taking to sea because they cover most of the nav stuff you need to do with examples. Think they are by a guy called Abdul Kalique...

Comment

Looks like a fun rule. I don't think we actually covered it, just definite integration and differentiation.

Comment

ah, its a super super simple rule one of the few i actually remember

Comment

Simpsons rule - I remember it being a step up from counting the squares method. Something to do with constructing an approximation to the curve you're trying to integrate, then integrating the quadratic instead.
                          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Working...
                          X