Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Suggestions?

Hi guys,

As an aspiring Deck Officer I'm looking to purchase a few books to improve my understanding of the role. I've had a browse through some of the bigger online stores but I could only find 1 or 2 books. Anyone have any suggestions - mainly looking for theory, practical and reference books.

Cheers

Hi BiB29

The best place to track down more focused books is at somewhere like warsash nautical bookshop (there are other places) have a look at the deck reading list under professional maritime, the books by seamanship international are quite user friendly.

I would hold off buying too much if you are going to start a course as the college will normally supply you with most of the material you need and anything extra they will tell you what to get.

if you are after general books on being a deck officer then the best bet is to get all your info from forums like this and online.

Cheers

Chris
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Originally posted by BiB29 View Post
      Hi guys,

As an aspiring Deck Officer I'm looking to purchase a few books to improve my understanding of the role. I've had a browse through some of the bigger online stores but I could only find 1 or 2 books. Anyone have any suggestions - mainly looking for theory, practical and reference books.

Cheers
      As Pilot Chris said, I think it is a good idea to wait until you start. I find you understand subjects better when people show you how to do it, instead of reading it from a book. I wanted to do the same before I started as a cadet, but when I did I found myself jumping ahead at lectures.

I advise just to wait, but it is up to you.

I am sure I have said this in another post, but these are the book I would recommend looking at:

- Bowditch's American Practical Navigator
      - NAV Basics by Abdul
      - Bridge procedures guide - ICS
      - Bridge Team Management by Swift

There is a copy of Bowditch online - might be in google books. That saves you spending ?30 on a book that could knock someone out.

This book has lots of detail on the practical sides of things.

If you can't find it, message me and I will provide a link... or I might have a digital copy...
      "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
      "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

A good book for anybody on passenger ships is Seamanship Notes by Angus Ferguson has almost everything passenger specific in

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback - all duly noted and mucho appreciated!

Comment

On the off chance you live near south shields, they are currently selling off older editions of marine books for 25p
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Hi Chris , cheers for that.Does the store have a website - I live in Lancashire!

Comment

Ebay is a good place to look. Some of these books are very pricey new

Comment

Not quite books but flip cards are good to have. Especially buoyage, lights, Code flags and morse.

Comment

Sadly not. A more commercially minded college might try and sell them on e bay
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I picked up mariners handbook, Chart 5011 and bridge procedures guide off of Ebay for less than a tenner.

Comment

Forgot most obvious one a copy of the international regulations for the prevention of collisions at sea. Best is in a book called a seamans guide to rules of the road. Has copy of colregs in back and examples and questions in front

Comment

Working...
                        X