Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Cadet CMT Interview - Help Please

Hi all

I received an interview date from CMT yesterday scheduled for a week on Friday (So I know I need to get my head down and do some studying)

I have been browsing the forum and there seems to be a lot of great advice on interviews and the like but they seem to be quite geared towards the egineering cadet side.

I was just wondering if anyone had taken the Deck Cadet interview with CMT and could let me know what to expect, am I going to need to know the "what type of things would you expect to see in the engine room?" type questions, or is there anything else that may trip me up.

My plan at the moment is to basically:

Be well versed in CMT history, formation, what they do etc.

Learn as much as I can about the specs of all the vessels they send you in the leaflet.

Prepare my reasons for wanting to undertake a career at sea

Is there anything anyone else can think would help me..... I think I'm just getting into a bit of a panic due to how soon the interview is after them contacting me.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers people

Firstly, don't panic a week is plenty of time to prepare for your interview.

I had a CMT interview in March, if I remember correctly they asked about the usual things such as why do you want to go to sea etc. It is worth brushing up on things that you would expect to find on a ship's bridge (seeing as you are applying as a deck cadet), as well as learning various hazards to a ship (internal and external).

As you mentioned, make sure you do plenty of research about CMT, their sponsoring companies, what sort of ships they use and where they operate. Also, have in your head an idea of the shipping companies you would like to do your cadetship with, as they will most likely ask you this.

Thats a few things I can remember for now, let me know if there are any more questions I can help you with.

Comment

Thanks Rich, appreciate your input. Have you had any feedback from CMT as to whether you were successful or not yet?

When you were discussing shipping companies you would like to do do your cadetship with were you actually mentioning specific companies or just what type of vessels you would prefer to work on i.e passenger ferries or longer haul cargo vessels? I'm just not sure how specific I should be when answering this quetsion, should I be saying I woant to work for X, Y or Z. Or should Isay well I would prefer this type of experience....hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Scottrob,

I sat my interview a couple of years ago.

What you are doing is what you should be doing in my opinion. If they are still sending the leaflet out about all vessels then I will presume the procedure is still the same.

At the end of my interview I asked how they decided whether or not a candidate would get a position. She flipped her clipboard around and showed me the 'marking system'.

That leaflet is essential to passing your interview.

She will ask you a selection of questions linked to that document and of course another load of questions as to why you want to go to sea etc. The more detailed and correct the answer you provide, the more marks you will get. Simple system.

I can't remember any trip up questions.

There is no reason to panic, just revise the sheet, get someone to test you on it and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
        "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
        "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

I heard back after approximately 2 weeks, although I know some hear back a lot sooner than that! Although I was successful I decided not to go with CMT as I had already accepted an offer from SSTG. There was not much in the way of feedback, however I'm sure I could of had some if I rang them up and asked for some.

I think it is just what type of vessel, and if you can name a few of the companies that use that particular kind of vessel it will show you have done some research. I believe actually choosing your potential sponsoring companies (think you have to put three down) comes after they have offered you a place.

And if you are thinking of passenger ships you may have to think again, as I was told that chances of getting a cruise/ferry company are VERY slim at my interview.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Lewis & Rich

I really haven't decided what type of vessels I want to go for (assuming all goes well in interview) so I don't have my heart set on cruise or ferry ships, the only thing I am not extremely keen on is deep sea voyages where I have heard you can be away for over 6months plus at a time!

Does anyone know if it is frowned upon at interview stage if you put this across when eplaining what type of sponsoring companies interest you?

Thnaks all

Comment

Also, can anyone tell me if the pay during your cadetship is the flat rate mentioned on CMT's website? Or do different sponsoring companies contribute different amounts tou your salary?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Scottrob View Post
                ... so I don't have my heart set on cruise or ferry ships, the only thing I am not extremely keen on is deep sea voyages where I have heard you can be away for over 6 months plus at a time!

Does anyone know if it is frowned upon at interview stage if you put this across when explaining what type of sponsoring companies interest you?

Thnaks all
                I would suggest you have a look at sponsoring companies that stay near the coast then. Like most of the people on the forum have said, if you go with Clyde, don't get set for Passenger vessels. However, in saying that, 3/4 of our Clyde cadets at Plymouth were with RCCL.

My first sea phase was six months - bang on the dot. It is a career where you spend a long period of time away from home, it is likely to happen. 4-6 months on average for the first sea phase. Deep sea voyages are useful for part of your training - like using the sextant. But, I don't think it is essential.
                "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
                "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Comment

Cheers Lewis, yeah I appreciate that I will probably have to do this during training etc in order to gain the experience and I am more than happy to, I'm just thinking more longer term.

Like I said I haven't really researched sponsoring companies yet but I'm going to get stuck into it between now and next week and find out which ones stay relatively near the coast!

Cheers

Comment

Cheers Lewis, yeah I appreciate that I will probably have to do this during training etc in order to gain the experience and I am more than happy to, I'm just thinking more longer term.

Like I said I haven't really researched sponsoring companies yet but I'm going to get stuck into it between now and next week and find out which ones stay relatively near the coast!

Cheers
                    The only type I can think of off the top of my head would be offshore. They typically do 1 month on 1 month off 2:2 and occasionally 3:3. Have a look at Vroon - We have a cadet at Plymouth with them, really good company apparently. Others to look at would be Ultra Petrol Offshore, Solstad, Lomar, Gulf offshore, Fletcher and Farstad.

Good luck.

Comment

Cheers Lewis, I will definitely check those out, need to log out now but will be back, this forum is a goldmine!!!! Feeling a lot more calm about my interview now.

Thanks again

Comment

Cheers Lewis, I will definitely check those out, need to log out now but will be back, this forum is a goldmine!!!! Feeling a lot more calm about my interview now.

Thanks again
                        No problem, that's what we are here for! Just providing the same advice I received from guys who were at the stage I'm at now.

Comment

You may also be asked to list the duties of a deck officer. I was asked this in respect of engineer officers. It's been said before, but memorise the speeds/crew numbers of the list of ships they send you. It's a very relaxed interview, I'm sure you'll do great. Is the interview in Glasgow? In relation to the pay as far as I am aware the sponsors do not top this up any unfortunately.
                          Check out the blog!

http://www.rudder-nonsense.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hi Rudder, yes the interview is in Glasgow. Was just being hopeful re the pay but happy to 'take the hit' so to speak with the low end money in the short term to hopefully reap the rewards later on!

Just as an aside does anyone know if the interview is one on one or is there a panel of two or three?

Also I'm really struggling to think what questions to ask the interviewers, I always feel like I don't want to sound as if I think I have automatically got the job and start asking about specific things like college start dates/times, background/reference checks.

Any suggestions on things that usually go down well to ask them? (Personally thinking things like "what are the chances of being accepted into my preferred sponsorship companies?", "what happens if I don't get accepted by preferred sponsoring companies, are you automatically placed wherever is available?")

Or do you think its better to keep it to more general stuff re the interview like, "when will I find out if successful or not?" etc

Thanks

Comment

Just as an aside does anyone know if the interview is one on one or is there a panel of two or three?

Also I'm really struggling to think what questions to ask the interviewers, I always feel like I don't want to sound as if I think I have automatically got the job and start asking about specific things like college start dates/times, background/reference checks.

Any suggestions on things that usually go down well to ask them? (Personally thinking things like "what are the chances of being accepted into my preferred sponsorship companies?", "what happens if I don't get accepted by preferred sponsoring companies, are you automatically placed wherever is available?")

Or do you think its better to keep it to more general stuff re the interview like, "when will I find out if successful or not?" etc

Thanks
                              Mine was one to one.

It's best to ask questions as if you have got the position, not in a cocky manner though.

A good one I used in all of my interview was:

Is there any reason or doubt as to why I am not acceptable candidate for this position?

Sounds a bit upfront, but if you ask then and if they do have any doubts you can explain/answer them as best you can. If you fail the interview, you will want to know why you failed anyway so you could avoid it next time.

All of those other three questions are fine to ask, there aren't many restrictions. They will ask is there ANYTHING you want to ask me, you can ask anything.

Chances of employment?
                              Who do I speak to if I have any problems?

I can't remember what I asked.

You can even write the questions down on a bit of paper and take it in with you in case you forget any. They shouldn't pull you up for that, there is a table there for a reason. If you do forget simply say: "Sorry, I have forgotten my questions, can I get my list out?"

If you REALLY want to push the boat out, you can type up a document about everything you will have wanted to say. Company information, predicted questions with detailed answers and a personal statement. I used this just in case I felt my interview went horribly wrong. Hand it over after asking that last question stating "Well if there is any doubt, all of my answers are in this booklet along with all of the research". If they see that you have done all of that work, it will show you are interested and committed.

Comment

Working...
                              X