Frustrated EU citizen in search of sponsorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated EU citizen in search of sponsorship

First of all let me tell you a little story about a 28 years old native Greek who decided to switch careers only to find out that local -otherwise WELL respected!!!- maritime schools have a MAXIMUM admissions age of 25... (i dare you to cross-check it btw!!!)

So being unable to gain admission in my own country I am strongly considering -in fact i think it's my only choice!- seeking a sponsorship elsewhere. (preferably in an English speaking country/institution/school, since apart from Greek and Italian I don't speak any other languages!)

I understand that union regulations can be a pain in the neck for cases such as mine and I would very much appreciate it if someone could fill me in on my options given these circumstances...

PS I could go on abt my CV and qualifications but this is not the issue here, if however you think i have omitted something important plz let me know!
    Do or don't, there is no try...

Originally posted by Giorgos.Vr View Post
    First of all let me tell you a little story about a 28 years old native Greek who decided to switch careers only to find out that local -otherwise WELL respected!!!- maritime schools have a MAXIMUM admissions age of 25... (i dare you to cross-check it btw!!!)

So being unable to gain admission in my own country I am strongly considering -in fact i think it's my only choice!- seeking a sponsorship elsewhere. (preferably in an English speaking country/institution/school, since apart from Greek and Italian I don't speak any other languages!)

I understand that union regulations can be a pain in the neck for cases such as mine and I would very much appreciate it if someone could fill me in on my options given these circumstances...

PS I could go on abt my CV and qualifications but this is not the issue here, if however you think i have omitted something important plz let me know!
    You can study in the UK at your own expense no problems at all. Just apply to one of the maritime colleges, pay your fees and your sorted. The only problem you may face will be sea-time as you'd have to find your own sea-time. However, shipping in Greece seems to be taking a bit of an upturn so it shouldn't be overly difficult and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Don't worry about unions here, they won't cause any problems to you joining one of our colleges....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
      [...]The only problem you may face will be sea-time as you'd have to find your own sea-time[...]
      which is precisely why securing a sponsorship is almost at the very top of my priorities!!!

[...]However, shipping in Greece seems to be taking a bit of an upturn so it shouldn't be overly difficult and I might be able to point you in the right direction.[...]
      you have my undivided attention!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgos.Vr View Post
        which is precisely why securing a sponsorship is almost at the very top of my priorities!!!

you have my undivided attention!!!
        Sponsorship in the UK is going to be very difficult as you'd need to be here for X amount of time (I think it's 1 year) and with the levels of competition, etc, etc. You're better off being self-funded which is done by a number of students.

Comment

NEWSFLASH!!!

A couple of hours ago I received an e-mail from what appears to be a *snip* [UK based] cadetship brokering company *snip* who informed me as to why sponsorships tend to be so inaccessible.

Because *snip* tuition fees are only part-payed by shipping companies and part government money and as we all know government money is scarce and rarely handed to anyone... they also mentioned some academic criteria that according to me are... quite obvious, such as passing all your courses etc...

apart from that the mandatory residence period is THREE years as I was informed... *snip*

anyway, I'm not ready to begin despairing yet... just hope I have been of assistance to others!
          Last edited by CharlieDelta; 10 June 2013, 07:35 PM. Reason: Please be careful what you say, you never know who is reading and you you might one day need some help from.

Comment

This isn't news, we knew this....

However residence period has changed. It used to be 1 year.

Well, looks like Self-Funding it is!

Comment

I've gotten out of tighter spots...

UK based "stock-control" is always an option but by the time I'm done with that AND school I would be 35y.o. and... good luck finding employment at that age with no prior experience...

i'll figure it out somehow i'm sure of that...

Comment

Well I'm a 33 year old newly qualified ETO and my employment prospects look pretty good. So I wouldn't worry about your age on qualification.
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by chris
                  Well I'm a 33 year old newly qualified ETO and my employment prospects look pretty good. So I wouldn't worry about your age on qualification.
                  appreciate the support man, thanks!!!
                  safe voyages to you too!

as a rule of thumb, from previous work experience I know for a fact that in spite the economic downturn finding employment is not that difficult for someone determined enough to make something of himself, question is how hard it would be to find the one that is right for you! And that is a very hard question to answer indeed!!!

I've just sent an e-mail inquiry to Warsash and if they give me the news I hope for I will be applying to them...

sure hope it all works out!!!

Comment

Warsash will only be able to take you in if you're self funding. Which means organising your sea phases yourself.

What's the Greek system like? Any sponsorships or government support?
                    sigpic
                    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                      Warsash will only be able to take you in if you're self funding. Which means organising your sea phases yourself.
                      I figured as much, yes. That's what I am working on now. You see, if (short of a sponsorship!) I could somehow get an (unofficial if I must) non fund-related endorsement from a company somehow guaranteeing me the mandatory sea-time it would make the student-loan alternative a bit more worth while...

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                      Greek maritime schools (or any other schools for that matter) don't charge tuition fees (some charge equipment fees but that is minimal anyway!) unfortunately since these schools are also linked with the port authority services/coast guard and since many candidates choose to join them simply for the prospect of joining the force and getting a steady government job they became a bit over-crowded and hence the age limit (of 25/world first me thinks!) that prohibits me from joining.

there are a couple of prospects that could get me out of this,

one is gaining admittance as a tertiary entrant (i'm not sure if the age limit applies in that case hope it doesn't but still pending confirmation)

the other would be to complete the first year of studies abroad and then transfer on my second year and complete studies here I believe with the Manila amendment and all it should be possible (still unconfirmed as well!)

all in all the admissions system here being directly linked with exit-exams (not sure abt the proper term...) favors "straight out of school" cadets and with potential cadets showing little interest for maritime professions entrance requirements are rather low

edit:sponsorships are not as common here as in other places, Government subsidizes first-year sea-time compensation only, partly the reason why many locally studying cadets often complain abt not being able to find 2nd-year sea-time... (then again they fully fund the schools so...)

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                        Only when they're not on strike, at lunch, avoiding taxes, etc, etc....

Comment

Only when they're not on strike, at lunch, avoiding taxes, etc, etc....

spot on!

Comment

France is also rather strike-happy. My friend and his colleagues went on strike when the coffee machine broke! Not a shipping company employee I should point out.
                            Check out the blog!

http://www.rudder-nonsense.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by RudderNonsense View Post
                              France is also rather strike-happy
                              Oh yes, don't I remember! I lost my one afternoon ashore a week thanks to those bloody Froggy lorry drivers!

Comment

Working...
                              X