Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deck Officer Cadetship - Personal Statement Help?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Officer Cadetship - Personal Statement Help?!?

Hi, i'm new here, but i'm currently applying for carnival/cunard/p&o. They are all one company it seems.
    I'm stuck and have no idea what to put in the box when they ask "Please explain why you have applied for a cadetship and offer evidence of your suitability (eg. skills, strengths or experience etc)."
    I was thinking putting my RYA qualifications/certificates, my superyacht experience, my love for yachting, my love for travelling etc.
    Seeing as this is the key information which is going to get me an interview I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to put or what have you put or how i should write it.
    My age is 16 if that helps.
    Thanks.

I have posted this before about 2 weeks ago but I am simply so stuck on what to write and how to word it. Does anyone have any personal statements they are willing to send to me? I am not asking anyone to do this for me I would just like an insight on what to write as I am so lost on how to word/structure it. Much appreciated.

Note: I will be using this for all the applications.........

Hi Edd,

You obviously have some passion for being at sea/big ships/etc... so I'm surprised you're struggling to fill the box.

Think about it. If you were in the office at Carnival looking at applications, what qualities would you look for?

Your personal statement needs to be entirely personal so I'm not sure giving examples will help. Anybody who's worked in recruitment can tell from a mile off if it's genuine or not.

Perhaps you could give us a rough outline of what you'd like to put in and we might be able to guide you in the right direction.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Easiest thing to do is just write one. Then you have something to work on and can chop and change it around. It's much easier than trying to write a perfect one from scratch as you'll never actually get anything down. Write something, anything, and then rewrite it, and again, and again. I think mine had at least ten edits, but it only took a day, and then I just had to personalise it for each company afterwards.

Comment

"personal statement" sounds a lot like "motivation letter"

and motivation letters are pretty self explanatory aren't they?

as HarmlessWeasel said you have to start somewhere and even though I haven't been to sea yet I've been to "a couple" of interviews

the most important thing according to me (and that applies mostly to your interview, not the letter so much!) is to do your best to keep them engaged if you have something interesting to write then they would be better inclined to keep reading don't you think?

as I recently found out phrasing IS important and you definitely need to serve it the right way...

for example instead of talking about marvelous salaries you are better off talking about "rewards" and so on...

(if anything try to think of it as some kind of awkward love letter where you try to "express your feelings" without sounding "needy!")
        Do or don't, there is no try...

Comment

also!!!!

HR departments tend to absolutely adore specific examples!!!

if there is any specific skill of yours you might wish to stress it's often best to do so though an example

for example rather than just say "I possess exceptional management skills" it would be better to set the tone by giving a specific example (which might give cause for further more specific questions and therefore offer you the opportunity to keep them engaged even further!)

Comment

The part I'm struggling with (writing along the UCAS guidelines) is the bit about linking your subjects to the course. Obviously you need maths and physics as a basic, but I'm having a hard time working biology and photography (AS level) in too...

Comment

Originally posted by Fevasailor View Post
              The part I'm struggling with (writing along the UCAS guidelines) is the bit about linking your subjects to the course. Obviously you need maths and physics as a basic, but I'm having a hard time working biology and photography (AS level) in too...
              Be imaginative, eg. photography: eye for detail, patience while waiting for that perfect shot etc etc. Biology: understanding how systems work or something.
              I found in my interviews that they didn't really talk about my subjects, but focused on my hobbies. The experiences they gave me, and how that affects/informs how I go about doing things. Think of a buzzword such as Leadership, and then think of any examples of things you do that require and demonstrate that ability.

Comment

+1 to HarmlessWeasel for the photography thing... i was struggling to fit that into my CV myself!!!

Comment

It's been doing my head in for weeks!

Comment

Fevasailor, Exactly the same, weeks and weeks. Ahhh!!
                    Thanks for the help.
                    I have finally started it but I must say it isn't brilliant ( only 100 words so far).
                    I would like to put in:
                    my love for the merchant navy
                    my qualifications - gcse, rya
                    experience - super yacht, time away from family for long periods,
                    skills - My past and current jobs have helped me gain great social skills, teamwork etc etc
                    i live close to warsash maritime academy ....
                    have lived on the coast my whole life etc etc
                    my current job whilst at college - is slightly involved in cruise lines.
                    why i am fitted for the job
                    Etc
                    etc
                    etc

Then a paragraph on a load of bullsh*t about why they should employee me on top of everything else.

Do I need to refer to deck officer a lot or is it okay just saying 'merhcant navy' or life at sea etc

I am going to dedicate the whole of tomorrow to complete it ( hopefully I will not procrastinate - I am realy good at that!).

Much appreciated charliedelta for your help on top of everyone else.

Also has anyone heard back from carnival/cunard/p&o or has any information about them. For example have they started replying yet or interviews..

Cheeeers.

Comment

If you have time on 28th June, come to the Warsash open day. Carnival will be exhibiting and you can talk to them face to face. Which can really help.
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

I was so gutted I missed the march open day, I sure will.

Comment

I went in March, and the cruise section was absolutely heaving all day. Decided to avoid it and head for the cargo, after reading some of the stories on here I'm not so sure I want to do that branch anymore! If you live near Warsash, chances are you'll be sent to Glasgow or Tyneside probably!

Comment

Try later in the day. For the last hour or so my training manager and I just sat having a chat because only a handful of people came to the stand. Same with the other companies.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edd View Post
                              my love for the merchant navy
                              my qualifications - gcse, rya
                              experience - super yacht, time away from family for long periods,
                              skills - My past and current jobs have helped me gain great social skills, teamwork etc etc
                              i live close to warsash maritime academy ....
                              have lived on the coast my whole life etc etc
                              my current job whilst at college - is slightly involved in cruise lines.
                              why i am fitted for the job
                              this is already another 76 words. Make it into full sentences with examples and you'll be trying to cut it down to 250 or whatever limit there is

Comment

Working...
                              X