Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Journey through the Application Process

My Journey

(Apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes as it is very early in the morning!)

Hi all! I am writing about my cadetship application experience so if you are applying you know what to expect!

I have wanted a career at sea for a long time now, living in Southampton and having practically all my family either having served in the Royal Navy or the Merchant navy. My grandfather is really my true aspiration as he was a Chief Engineer and is very supportive of me; he was over the moon when I got my offer! But I will explain how I got there?.

I got into university and was doing a degree in the shore side to the Merchant Navy which is what really made me 100% sure that I did not want a 9 to 5 job in a port or somewhere. However, I was really quite unsure whether to even bother applying as I only got a C in Math?s and pretty much all of the companies ask for a B grade or for you to have done either Math?s or Physics at A Level which I did not do.

I applied to a company in December as a sort of ?oh well, might as well give it a shot? to see what they would say. To my surprise about 3 weeks later I received a phone call offering me an interview, so at this stage I was chuffed to bits and had a massive confidence boost with the whole cadetship idea. Anyway, I did my interview in January and was told that they were very impressed and the interview went very well. As I mentioned before, I have a massive confidence boost so I applied to two more companies later on and I was offered interviews from both. For me, the interview etc. isn?t the worst part; in fact that is the easy part (If you work and prepare for it). The hard part is the waiting for the phone call to say ?We have some good news for you? or ?Unfortunately?. None the less I received three offers but obviously you can only accept one! However, in my mind this was easy as the company that I really wanted to go with was the first one to offer me a place and I just couldn?t say no.

What I would say to people is not to be lured into going to the company who offer the most money, go with the company that will offer you the best variety, that will support you and look after you the best and the one you really want. If they offer you more money then BONUS! But just don?t be tempted to go for the Wonga.

Obviously in order to be offered an interview you must wow them in your application. This means that you should have a good CV and a strong cover letter/strong application. The reason that they want to interview you is so that they can find out more about you and double check your suitability.

As for interviews, prepare and prepare. Research the company and why you want to go to sea. Just remember that it is the first few minutes that will catch the interviewers attention. Just like a CV, if the first part doesn?t impress then they are unlikely to be interested in the second bit (I?m not saying that they will end the interview because they don?t like you but I am sure you can understand!).

Another word of advice is to apply to as many companies as you can! Don?t put all your eggs in one basket because at the end of the day what you need is your ticket and training.

If I missed anything out of have any questions then please do not hesitate to let me know.

Depending on the response I get from this and if people are interested, I will do a blog or video diary. I am also willing for people to phone me/email me to discuss the process and if they feel that they need any help and/or guidance.

**Special thanks go to Hatchorder, My grandfather, Family and Friends**
    Saltydog

So who did you go with in the end Salty ?

Comment

Bibby Ship Management mate
      Saltydog

Comment

Congrats Salty, how was your interview with them? Was it the two training officers? I've accepted my offer from Anglo Eastern. Which college are you being sent to?

Comment

Hi Moose,

Yes it was with two training officer. I will be going to Warsash. How about yourself?

Well done with Anglo Eastern
          Saltydog

Comment

You say you're going to Warsash, but I won't believe you til you join the facebook group!

Comment

I dont know how their cadet manning works , but Bibbys ships I've seen in the North Sea are state of the art. Excellent work!

Comment

Where is the Facebook Page!?!
                Saltydog

Comment

We're all here Saltydog! https://www.facebook.com/groups/466891723382442/

Comment

Well done salty! Have. Mate who just finished with bibby and he loved it. They couldn't offer him a contract at the end but he said they worked tirelessly to help him get one. He got a contract pretty quick. He was really impressed with them. Well done !

Comment

I have sent an invitation to join the group. Thanks for letting me know

@Jake: Cheers mate, hope things are going alright.
                      Saltydog

Comment

Good work mate! Another one joins the Bibby Brethren!

Comment

Thats great man....I am from Nigeria n i have had it that i will go to sea to work but things are not working out find right now.I have my O'Level and my Mandatory ( Elementry First Aid , Personal Safety and social responsibilities, Personal Survival Technique, and Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention.That just all i have i don't know if i can get any job with that and really don't have much experience in the sea but have worked for sometime.Secondly i intend to do my Discharge but i still hope to get the money i don't know if it will be wise if i did it?Please get back at me with any professional advice regards the question matter.Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by saltydog View Post
                            I have sent an invitation to join the group. Thanks for letting me know

@Jake: Cheers mate, hope things are going alright.
                            Got a phone call from Liam at Maersk today offering me a place for sept Deck at SSTC.......We got there in the end eh !!

Comment

Nice one mate. Im happy for you Good luck with everything
                              Saltydog

Comment

Working...
                              X