Staying at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying at home

I have recently been for an interview with CMT and am waiting on the result. One thing that came up in the interview was that I would need to stay in the halls of residence. Is this compulsory? as I know several people who stay in my area and are a similar age yet get the train everyday. If anyone could provide more info I would be very grateful.

Ive heard some companies either say u have to or they prefer you to as it actually lets u get to know ur class mates and work colleagues and also kinda gets u ready for sea, well its just what I've heard as its september i start!

Good luck for the results btw!

Comment

It's up to your training officer. Generally the rule seems to be if you're a bit older and not living with your parents it will be ok. If your 17 still living at home they'll want you in halls.

Comment

At South Shields CMT wanted us in the halls for the first three months if you over 18. If you are younger you have to stay in the halls until you are 18 regardless of what phase of college you are in.
        lead,follow or get out of the way

Comment

I rented my own place at college and CMT were okay with that (a while ago now right enough)- the idea of giving up a place I?d lived in for 4 years and then having the hassle of storing stuff when at sea and finding a short term let when home from sea wasn?t really an option (halls plus the cost of storage was too expensive and living with parents wasn?t an option)), but if I?d had to do it I would have found a way. There was a few folk on my course living locally (even with parents) who traveled in every day- it wasn?t a problem, I think it?s very dependent on your age/ circumstances though, I?d give CMT a phone and explain your concerns.

Comment

I would really suggest you go into halls for your first phase as not only does it really help making mates but it also is really handy when doing homework etc. the guys I roomed with are my best mates over a decade later and we all shared houses on later phases.
            Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Definately for the first phase, its necessary for you to discover whether you can handle living in a confined environment sharing a cabin... It's a bit of a shock to the system for some.

Comment

If you've never experienced life away from home before, I think it might be different and then yes do it, but if you're like 28 and seen and been around a bit (I'm not making assumptions just chose a random number to suggest somebody a bit older ) and have similar experiences before then the point might be slightly lost.... if you've good classmates you won't miss out on the social aspect too much, but there are those moments of umm... randomness!

Comment

Hey I'm 28, are you accusing me of being old?

Comment

Just going to wade in here.......

I had to stay at GCNS when I was a cadet for my induction phase only then in later phases I stayed at home. I was 16 when I started. Personally I don't think it prepares you for sea at all and is more of a money spinner for the college that CMT have agreed to.

It doesn't prepare for you sea because you aren't at sea. You can walk out the halls and find yourself in the city centre, nothing like being at sea. I didn't share a cabin with anyone nor did I have to do a watch ;-) What I did have to do was pay nearly all my wages to a college for sub-standard food and accommodation, not a happy time. Don't get me wrong it was a laugh but I could have had the same laugh living at home plus would have had more money!

Comment

You see i thought that Dr Winterbottom at South Tyneside really did prepare me for the awful food and dire conditions I'd expect at sea. Well only on a few ships...

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
                        Just going to wade in here.......

I had to stay at GCNS when I was a cadet for my induction phase only then in later phases I stayed at home. I was 16 when I started. Personally I don't think it prepares you for sea at all and is more of a money spinner for the college that CMT have agreed to.

It doesn't prepare for you sea because you aren't at sea. You can walk out the halls and find yourself in the city centre, nothing like being at sea. I didn't share a cabin with anyone nor did I have to do a watch ;-) What I did have to do was pay nearly all my wages to a college for sub-standard food and accommodation, not a happy time. Don't get me wrong it was a laugh but I could have had the same laugh living at home plus would have had more money!
                        Fully agree with that.

This "Staying in halls is preparing you for sea" is nonsense. It's the same as saying "Staying in Euro Hostel prepares you for sea.". Which neither of them do because you aren't at sea.

As you say it seems just to be a money spinning agreement between CMT and the college.

Only benefit of staying in halls is that they are close to the college and you meet a lot of people, but a lot of the people you meet are ones you wouldn't really want to in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                          Hey I'm 28, are you accusing me of being old?
                          No.....why ever would we say that? (especially after the recent name change)....
                          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I told CMT that I wasn't living in the halls at South Shields because I thought they looked like a prison and from my past experience I didn't enjoy living in halls. They didn't even bat an eye lid so was fine for me

Comment

I think it's mostly aimed at younger folk. Need to get used to not having mummy do everything for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X