Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
    But you do provide you National Insurance number, and that can be used to check for any further education etc. The problem with lying is you need a very good memory, it's much easier to remember the truth. Also, companies read this forum. I know for a fact SSTG, Clyde and Maersk do, because it came up in the interview. It's much better to have good reasons why you left the course, and to convince them that this is the career for you. To start lying is idiotic in my mind, and the truth will out eventually. It could affect your integrity and any job offers from your company and could disincline them to write a decent reference if you're not offered a job.
    Jebus everyone takes this oh so seriously!

It doesn't matter if you spent 5 days or 5 years doing a previous course what matters now is your commitment to your new career. Everyone makes mistakes; so what if you started a course you didn't like you will not be crucified for it - Demonstrate to the interviewer how much you have researched your new profession and how keen you are to exceed in the wonderful world of the MN. They want you as much as you want them.

Harmlessweasel - why would you ask a company you have never worked for and only had an interview with to give you a reference; that my young fellow is idiotic. "It could affect your integrity and any job offers from your company and could disincline them to write a decent reference if you're not offered a job".

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
      Harmlessweasel - why would you ask a company you have never worked for and only had an interview with to give you a reference; that my young fellow is idiotic. "It could affect your integrity and any job offers from your company and could disincline them to write a decent reference if you're not offered a job".
      Sorry didn't word that very well. I was thinking more if you're in the middle of your cadetship and then they find out you lied about a few things in the interview. Then your sponsor company not be so willing to provide a job or give a decent reference. You're right, asking for a reference from someone who interviewed you is idiotic

Comment

And yeah it probably doesn't matter in the end. One or two white lies to make yourself look good won't hurt, but there was someone a few weeks ago who'd supplied incorrect exam results (apparently not deliberately). I just think we ought to be careful in case someone thinks it doesn't matter what you say etc etc

Comment

Fair enough but there is a massive difference between stretching the truth about what you do in your spare time to giving false exam results.

Incidentally the main things that you always have to be straight about are qualifications and criminal convictions - get caught telling porkpies about either then its a - don't let the door hit you on the way out ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
            How about - "I didn't go to college after school as I felt that I really needed to find myself so I did some volunteering for a charity that builds football pitches for villages in Africa, I spent 6 months laying Astroturf in Uganda and I am still find those rubbery bits in various parts of my body, the charity was called Football for Everyone" There you go - fixed it for you :-)

As for SMART funding, I am not 100% but dont think that will have an impact. I cant ever remember filling a form in saying what previous FE I had.
            On your first day of college you fill out the forms, these are cross checked with the FE/HE Database and sent to the companies (whether they care or not is another matter) but I do have a bit of knowledge of this having been part of cadet recruitment for a while.
            Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

I'll just say that when I left school I didn't want to be sitting doing nothing for 6 months so I went into the course that wasn't full. I soon realised it wasn't for me and I hated doing it so I left. From this I have learnt to research into stuff before I make a commitment. I can't see them holding that against me , everyone makes mistakes and I'm hardly the first person. Furthermore if I show that I've researched the merchant navy fully and show that I really want to have a carrer in it I can't see it being a problem at all. Plus I never got bursary or anything at college so I can't see funding being a problem either

Comment

Originally posted by jakestack96 View Post
                Furthermore if I show that I've researched the merchant navy fully and show that I really want to have a carrer in it I can't see it being a problem at all.
                That's the ticket, right there I say. Show a shedload of enthusiasm for the career, the sea, do your research etc and you'll have a much greater chance of getting in. that's how i got through my clyde interview anyway. Good luck with your interview!
                "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                -- William Arthur War

Twitter - @tommisevenfold

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jakestack96 View Post
                    I'll just say that when I left school I didn't want to be sitting doing nothing for 6 months so I went into the course that wasn't full. I soon realised it wasn't for me and I hated doing it so I left. From this I have learnt to research into stuff before I make a commitment. I can't see them holding that against me , everyone makes mistakes and I'm hardly the first person. Furthermore if I show that I've researched the merchant navy fully and show that I really want to have a carrer in it I can't see it being a problem at all. Plus I never got bursary or anything at college so I can't see funding being a problem either
                    Sounds good to me

Comment

Hey, is your interview with CMT in London, as I have one in 3 weeks also... nervous, but at the same time cannot wait!
                      Been preparing for it all weekend...

Comment

Mines in Glasgow and I'm the exact same the more I look it up the more I look forward to it!

Comment

Working...
                        X