Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview

Hi, I was doing a course in college up untill 4 weeks ago. ( electrical engineering) . Although I left because I didn't like it at all. I don't usually quit stuff but I was basically miserable doing the course. Anyway I've decided I want to pursue a career in the merchant navy as a deck officer and I have an interview in 4 weeks. My question is will the fact I left my course affect my interview. And will it make me look uncommitted and unreliable??

Thanks

If you can show good reasons then I don't think it should affect you too much. However, companies are looking for 'stickability' as a lot of cadets drop out, and then they have to pay into some fund or other as a penalty, so they do prefer someone who's likely to stick it through. If you've got any evidence of previous dedication etc then take it with you in your good boy folder (if you don't know what that is then have a good read of the interviews sticky thread). Something like being in Scouts for x years or clubs/organistations you used to be a member of (the longer the better).
    This is what I've come to understand of the interview process anyway, someone may come along and show me to be wrong, but it's worked for me

Comment

Thanks,

Comment

Apply to Clyde Marine or SSTG, they'll take anyone and don't care how many times you've dropped out of things. Before my training, I had tried every career under the sun and not completed any of the four higher education courses I'd started. I finished the cadetship and qualified though, as I'd finally found what I really wanted to do with my life and I expressed that at the interview. I don't think you need to worry too much, just be ready with an excellent answer on why THIS is the right course for you. Good luck in the interview!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Alternatively just lie through your teeth - no one checks ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
              Not that we advocate such things at all....
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Haha cheers, I never mentioned that I was college in my application form so hopefully they won't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by jakestack96 View Post
                  Haha cheers, I never mentioned that I was college in my application form so hopefully they won't ask.
                  They will probably ask what have you been doing between finishing X and now?

Comment

Aww ok , I'm sure if I just explain to them I really didn't like it, it wouldn't make too much of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by jakestack96 View Post
                      Aww ok , I'm sure if I just explain to them I really didn't like it, it wouldn't make too much of a difference?
                      You might need to expand a bit more than that because if you say that then they will probably be thinking "well, what if he decides a few months in that he doesn't like this?"

Comment

Ye that's exactly what I was thinking

Comment

I hate to throw a spanner in the works with this idea but due to the cadetship going through SMART funding etc full education checks are done by the companies.
                          Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

How about - "I didn't go to college after school as I felt that I really needed to find myself so I did some volunteering for a charity that builds football pitches for villages in Africa, I spent 6 months laying Astroturf in Uganda and I am still find those rubbery bits in various parts of my body, the charity was called Football for Everyone" There you go - fixed it for you :-)

As for SMART funding, I am not 100% but dont think that will have an impact. I cant ever remember filling a form in saying what previous FE I had.

Comment

How about - "I didn't go to college after school as I felt that I really needed to find myself so I did some volunteering for a charity that builds football pitches for villages in Africa, I spent 6 months laying Astroturf in Uganda and I am still find those rubbery bits in various parts of my body, the charity was called Football for Everyone" There you go - fixed it for you :-)

As for SMART funding, I am not 100% but dont think that will have an impact. I cant ever remember filling a form in saying what previous FE I had.
                              But you do provide you National Insurance number, and that can be used to check for any further education etc. The problem with lying is you need a very good memory, it's much easier to remember the truth. Also, companies read this forum. I know for a fact SSTG, Clyde and Maersk do, because it came up in the interview. It's much better to have good reasons why you left the course, and to convince them that this is the career for you. To start lying is idiotic in my mind, and the truth will out eventually. It could affect your integrity and any job offers from your company and could disincline them to write a decent reference if you're not offered a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X