Pros and Cons of Jan and Sept start dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Jan and Sept start dates

I know that September is the main intake and that January is less popular but I'm just wondering about the various pros and cons eg January being smaller does it affect any social aspects at college, are there smaller class sizes and does it in any way affect sea phases or placements? I would take a September place if offered but think it may be January at this stage, but if I was given a choice would one stand out over another? Thanks

I'd say if you get offered September, take it. The sooner you start, the sooner you can start the best adventure of your life.

Comment

For Engine side in WMA, being in the September intake means that all of your college time, Phases 1, 3 and 5 are over winter. Which does lead to higher heating bills in Phases 3 and 5. (Something to consider)

However, this does mean that your sea trips are in the Summer, obviously weather conditions varying around the world.
      Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by The H View Post
        For Engine side in WMA, being in the September intake means that all of your college time, Phases 1, 3 and 5 are over winter. Which does lead to higher heating bills in Phases 3 and 5. (Something to consider)

However, this does mean that your sea trips are in the Summer, obviously weather conditions varying around the world.
        Aye a January start could potentially have you up in the North Sea during winter if you're sponsored by one of the offshore companies. Sick buckets required for that I think!

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
          I'd say if you get offered September, take it. The sooner you start, the sooner you can start the best adventure of your life.
          Not to mention the sooner you start the sooner you finish.

Comment

Originally posted by YaBute View Post
            Aye a January start could potentially have you up in the North Sea during winter if you're sponsored by one of the offshore companies. Sick buckets required for that I think!
            You'll end up at sea in winter regardless of when you start :-)

September is the larger group mainly due to most people coming from education will finish whatever there doing previously in June / July :-)

There's no real difference although potentially you may have a smaller class in January group which could be beneficial
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Thanks everyone - not too bothered about the weather - more the class sizes and dynamics of being in the smaller group after the big intake. I'll take whatever I can get though!

Comment

Working...
              X