My upcoming RFA test...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My upcoming RFA test...

Since my rejection from Maersk and a lack of replies from most other places I was feeling rather down. I thought, "well, maybe that's it for me 'til next year then." However, a couple of weeks ago my RFA application paid off and they got back to me.

I'd only really applied because I could, I thought that they wouldn't want me in a million years and to be fair, they've yet to meet me. Nevertheless, it felt really good to know that I have another shot at something, no matter if I see it as a bit of a stretch... Anyway... They invited me to undertake a preliminary examination, you know the sort of thing? Just checking I've got enough brain power not to ram an inanimate object with an expensive ship. I got very excited when I saw that the test was going to be conducted on the HMS calliope, "bloody hell," said I, "I bet it's a destroyer or a battleship or an aircraft carrier!" So I stuck it into google image search and this is what came up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_14082004.jpg

Then, upon closer examination (and to my relief) I discovered that that small craft is not HMS Calliope but a training vessel located at HMS Calliope. You see, apparently putting HMS at the beginning of a word doesn't make it a ship (confusing, right?). HMS Calliope is a building by the riverside and I am a bit of an idiot.

Anyway, this whole situation has really picked me up and I'd appreciate any pre-exam advice or if anyone else is doing the same thing just drop me a line. Thanks.

My unit (HMS CALLIOPE) IS a ship :-P the smaller vessel you are refering to is HMS Example. A P2000 Archer class patrol vessel used by the URNU for training. If you need tips on AIB, I passed 2 weeks ago so I'll happily help out with any queries you have

Comment

Originally posted by jj-1994 View Post
      My unit (HMS CALLIOPE) IS a ship :-P
      The JSP101 approved spelling of "shed"?

Comment

Originally posted by jj-1994 View Post
        My unit (HMS CALLIOPE) IS a ship
        Be interesting to see if it floats....
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I had my initial RFA tests in Calliope last year, the guys there were incredibly helpful and friendly. As I was the only RFA applicant on the day (along with maybe a dozen or so aspiring RN recruits) I was taken to one side and one of the RN officers gave me a lot of advice and put my mind at rest.

In fact everybody I've met at every stage of my application (from tests to AIB) were the absolute model of helpfulness.

Comment

Well I had my test today and learned two things...

1 - HMS Calliope doesn't float.
            2 - The RN tests are the most time intensive examinations I've ever undergone.

The folks on site were very friendly and the questions themselves weren't hard but I've never felt so much pressure to keep on going, no time to review your answers just going with your gut.

Comment

Hope it went well, good luck! I heard back within a few days, so hopefully the waiting won't be too bad for you...

Comment

Thanks for the support.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazandymat View Post
                  The RN tests are the most time intensive examinations I've ever undergone.

The folks on site were very friendly and the questions themselves weren't hard but I've never felt so much pressure to keep on going, no time to review your answers just going with your gut.
                  I found the tests on the first morning of the AIB more time-intensive! Honestly at the RT, I finished them and had time to check most answers afterwards. At the AIB, there was no hope of finishing. I failed the AIB overall and was not invited to re-apply :-(

Be prepared and best of luck!

Comment

Well... I heard back and I passed my initial tests!

I got an E-mail saying so in the space of two sentences... Apparently there's a letter on it's way to me but I've yet to receive it. Unable to contain myself I started to look at the later stages of recruitment. Although I know about the AIB, I'm not actually sure as to what it entails. I did a quick search of the forum but I'm still unsure as to the specifics. I assume some of you know in more details what the next stages involve, could anyone elaborate for me, please?

Comment

All you never wanted to know about the AIB in 297 pages and counting: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-up...selection.html

There may be some RFA specific stuff in there or elsewhere on Rum Ration. Good luck finding it!

Comment

Working...
                      X