US Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Visa

Passed ENG1 today which means it's only US visa to go until my offer from Maersk becomes unconditional. Anybody been through the process and can tell me what it involves? Seems hard to get info on it with it being an American thing. Also Saltydog if you're reading this please clear your inbox again :-P

Been a few threads on this, wrote somewords on the actual visa "day" last year, use the search button.......

Comment

There are over 9000 threads on this subject, both on this forum and the wider Internet. Top and bottom of it is, don't look shifty, don't take electronics with you, be prepared to be ****ed around at the whim of the Americans, and take a book with you.
      "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Can't find that many threads but the general rule seems to be just go and hope for the best :-P I don't have any convictions or inccidents what so ever so I should be fine I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
          There are over 9000 threads on this subject, both on this forum and the wider Internet. Top and bottom of it is, don't look shifty, don't take electronics with you, be prepared to be ****ed around at the whim of the Americans, and take a book with you.
          Electronics being phones etc? how come?

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
            Because EVERYTHING could (probably not be) a BOMB.

Comment

General US paranoia, suspicion and knee jerk reaction to anything suspicious or that might be perceived as a threat to 'homeland security'.

It's quite interesting to watch their constitution slowly and quietly being ripped up on the excuse of 'homeland security' and 'anti terrorism'. But that's for another thread

the great thing is, even after all this bureaucracy and hard work getting a visa, it's still down to the discretion of the block at the dock if you get a run ashore, and if he doesn't like the look of you, your ship, your shipmates or hasn't had sex in a while, you ain't getting ashore. Land of the free and all that...
              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

I love the general hypocrisy of the US. I bet there'd be uproar if the British Embassy in the US dared to restrict the rights of every American to carry their ipad, iphone, ipod and ipad mini at all times...

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                  Land of the free and all that...
                  Citizens have rights. Non-citizens have the right to an all expenses paid vacation at GTMO.

Comment

I love the general hypocrisy of the US. I bet there'd be uproar if the British Embassy in the US dared to restrict the rights of every American to carry their ipad, iphone, ipod and ipad mini at all times...
                    British embassies and consulates have similar type rules - and they apply if you are going for a visa or for consular help as a citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Squareleg28 View Post
                      British embassies and consulates have similar type rules - and they apply if you are going for a visa or for consular help as a citizen.
                      fair enough. I think I glimpsed a copy of the daily mail earlier today and probably got infected with their lovely blend of xenophobia and hysterics...

Comment

You know folks have hidden guns and tasers inside phones before right?
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                        X