just another basic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just another basic question

hi i was just looking at some shipping company e.g maersk and saw that they have had 923 applicants so i was wondering how many places do shipping company's have and if any one has any idea how many people apply each year on average ?

no one ever really knows, who has what places, but I do know Maersk Have 30-ish spaces for cadets this year, so to say competition is fierce is putting it mildly :-)
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Was at the Maersk interview today. They interview 90 candidates for 30 places

Comment

Hope it went OK for you JJ Im there next week,

Jake

Comment

Always plenty of competition whoever you apply for, my advice would be apply for as many as possible see what interviews you get and if your lucky you may get a couple of choices.

Comment

I think their intake depends on how many people they accept, I'm sure they'll stretch the 30 places if they find more than 30 people they want to take on.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapheadSteve View Post
              I think their intake depends on how many people they accept, I'm sure they'll stretch the 30 places if they find more than 30 people they want to take on.
              Someone may correct but that's not really how it works.

http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...nnage-Tax-scam

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris View Post
                Someone may correct but that's not really how it works.

http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...nnage-Tax-scam
                Depends on the company. Some are just taking cadets on for the tax breaks.

Others are genuinely interested in training and employing British officers.

Comment

Apparently Maersk get mega tax breaks (c. ?1bn) if they spend a certain amount per annum on their cadets, which is why the Maersk lot get resources and funds thrown at them.
                  "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                    Apparently Maersk get mega tax breaks (c. ?1bn) if they spend a certain amount per annum on their cadets, which is why the Maersk lot get resources and funds thrown at them.
                    To be fair to maersk, they actually employ British officers so while they might be getting a tax break they their cadets do at least have a chance of a job with them at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                      To be fair to maersk, they actually employ British officers so while they might be getting a tax break they their cadets do at least have a chance of a job with them at the end.
                      I actually got a really good feeling from Maersk at the interview. While the tonnage tax is certainly factor, they seemed genuinely interested in training and employing cadets. They could give to official guarantee of a position after college, but did say that basically every cadet that wished it had received a position with them after receiving their OOW certificate.

Comment

I get the feeling that some people may be miss-interpreting how the tonnage tax affects the cadetship...

Yes, it is fair to say that the tonnage tax scheme is, for some companies the sole reason they are taking on cadets, however because of the scheme we in the UK benefit from one of the better training systems;

As a cadet, all your training costs (which amount to a substantial amount - far higher than what you would rack up doing a university degree), short courses, examinations, medicals, vaccinations and misc. certification (in pretty much all cases) are covered by your sponsor.

As part of the cadetship you are also guaranteed sea time on vessels either operated directly by the sponsor or a 3rd party in a cadet position* to allow you to gain sufficient sea time to meet the MNTB / MCA minimum requirements for your OOW / EOOW CoC.

Now compare this to many countries where becoming an officer involves 3+ years of study at a maritime academy - in many cases at your own cost - at the end of which you have to then go and find a company willing to take you onboard as an OS/AB/Cadet so you can get the time onboard ships to obtain your CoC. Every now and again you see them popping up on this forum enquiring if anyone knows any companies who will take on cadets from X country.

Yes, many of the sponsors do not employ cadets at the end of the training however this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, even those that are with companies which aim to take on cadets once qualifying aren't guaranteed a place (if you can find me any company that has put in writing that you will be 100% employed by them on completion I will be very surprised).

The airline industry used to have similar schemes to the cadetship - most of which have been wiped out (supposedly due to 9/11 - but other financial factors are probably more to blame). Nowadays becoming a commercial pilot is a very expensive business - resulting in you getting into large amounts of debt.

At the end of the day, there are companies willing to train you - their reasons may be solely financially based - but they are the ones that are putting so many people through the scheme. Without them I think it’s safe to say there would be pretty close to no sponsored places available and becoming an officer would be prohibitively expensive for most.

I have wondered a little from my initial point, but I will end with some advice; regardless of what company you are with - go out to do your best, the industry is surprisingly small and if you make a good impression by being a hard worker, knowledgable and willing to get involved you will have no issue’s finding a job once qualifying.

A lot of people get the job they want through the contacts they have made onboard - myself and several other forum members included.

[*I appreciate that while a cadet should be an extra person onboard and should as per the MNTB definition be there primarily to learn, that it doesn’t always happen that way on some ships - however you are still in a far better position than if you were to join as an OS.]
                        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Would any companies that are genuinely interested in training instead of tax relief be likely to take on more cadets than the minimum requirements for the tax scheme? Or do they just fill their quota and concentrate on them? Obvioiusly a company just out for tax breaks will only take the minimum, but what's the real limit on available places?

Comment

Originally posted by Fergus View Post
                            Would any companies that are genuinely interested in training instead of tax relief be likely to take on more cadets than the minimum requirements for the tax scheme? Or do they just fill their quota and concentrate on them? Obvioiusly a company just out for tax breaks will only take the minimum, but what's the real limit on available places?
                            That is the question...

I would say the limit at the moment is a mixture of available college spaces - and available spaces on ship. As for your other point, look at the approx. number of cadets that are taken on by the companies who employ them afterwards... it's far less than the number taken on by companies which don't.

If a company is training purely for their own staffing requirements, you would expect they are going to take on the minimum they need to meet their requirement (potentially allowing for people dropping out).

But thats all speculation - but i'm sure we'll find out in a few years if the economy continues the way its going.
                            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Reviving a bit of a dead one here, but my sponsor has just signed on a good 15 more cadets than the requirement, and they said this was primarily because they believe in investong in their workforce. As it stands now, everyone who gets their ticket will be offered employment at the end of the cadetship. Or so we were told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X