Cadet working hours at sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadet working hours at sea

I'm going for an interview at CMT on thursday, and it seems that a lot of other people have been asked a question of what hours you would be expecting to be working at sea. It would be great if someone could tell me the typical hours for a cadet at sea would be
    thanks

I'm no expert but I'm sure I read it was either 9 till' 5 or 4 hours on and 8 hours off, someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

As a cadet my shift was from 8 to 12 then a hour lunch brake and from 13 to 16. Sometimes stayed longer because of important job had to be done or out of curiosity if something important was happening and to learn stuff
      Motorman

Comment

Very much depends on a variety of factors.

If you are under 18 and sailing on a UK flagged vessel then your hours are limited by law to less than what is allowed for other seafarers.

If you are over 18 or on a non-UK flagged vessel (other countries may or may not have similar rules) then you can expect to be working 8 - 10 hours per day as a norm and as many as are required when the situation demands it.

On daywork you would normally work 0800 -1200 and 1300 - 1800ish

On watches you would normally work 4 hours on / 8 hours off on watch followed by a couple of hours either on deck or in the E/R doing maintenance. So for example, 0400 - 0800 on watch, 08300 - 10300 on deck and 1600 - 2000 on watch.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

I generally worked from 8 'till 1730-1800 most days. Dry dock was always longer, either starting earlier or finishing later, generally by an hour or two. Standbys can be anything from a couple of hours to over ten hours going up rivers.
          EDIT Just noticed you're deck. The cadets I was on with generally did day work in the morning then a watch in the afternoon. As mentioned, day work was 0800 till 1800. In dry dock he was on gangway watch for two weeks solid.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
            X