Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clyde Marine Training

Hi all,

I've just been given an interview with Clyde Marine Training. I just wanted some advice on this company as I've heard mixed things about how good/bad they are. I was hoping to do my training directly through a company as I don't want to end up on some crap little ship (which I've heard can happen with Clyde). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Anybody who is training with Clyde I do NOT mean to offend you in any way and am sorry if I have. I really am only looking for advice

I would suggest you use the forum search feature, there are loads of threads about CMT on here.

Do however bear in mind that just because some people on the internet moan and gripe about a company or praise them, doesn't make them good or bad. Clyde have been training cadets on behalf of other companies for well over 25 years so they generally know what they are doing, yes you could get stuck on "some crap little ship", but you might learn more on that crap little ship than you would on some big shiny white cruise liner.

Go for the interview, and have some sensible questions ready, remember that an interview is a two way process, you should be getting a feel for the company and whether or not it is right for you as much as the other way round, you should attend as many interviews as you are offered and see what is available.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Yeah I fully intend to go to the interview and get as much out of it as possible. I know with anything if you look hard enough you'll find somebody with a complaint I just wanted to see how justified they were. Another thing I'm concerned about is emplyment afterwards. Is a direct route with a company more likely to gain you a job as third officer?

Comment

That very much depends on the company, and is one of the questions that you should be asking at your interviews.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Clyde Marine is just the middle guy that saves all the shipping companies money that partner with Clyde, I started in August and have found in that time the communication between Clyde and the college is abysmal, our training officer had changed 3 times in the space of a few weeks. That aside they have got a vast choice of companies, don't expect to get one of your choices unless you get an interview with a company you have chosen, I got a random company I never heard of and even nautilus hadn't heard of them. So in short it's up to yourself, if you go ahead with Clyde make sure you pick a company that's good for cadets like Northern Marine, or go straight to a company like Maersk.

Comment

CMT has it's faults, all companies do, but the one major thing is that they will still get you through your cadetship and to your ticket and that is the most important part of it all.

They used to truly frustrate me at times, the communication was usually awful, the TO always seemed to be at lunch or training when you called but at the end of the day I finished my cadetship and Im now happily employed so the end justified the means and to be honest, it wasn't THAT bad. Sure, they could do with improving their communications, they could do with having a few more TO's who'd actually sailed at some point and what not but to be honest, they wern't that bad (wouldn't be the largest cadet recruiter if they were that ****).

Go for the interview, wait until you've got a few more responses from other companies and then go with the one with the best offer.

Out of curiosity Matthew, who are you sponsored by?
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Four Handy, they are part of the company Premuda. When I asked the Nautilus guy that came to speak to us he didn't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew93 View Post
                Four Handy, they are part of the company Premuda. When I asked the Nautilus guy that came to speak to us he didn't have a clue.
                Nautilus not having a clue? Hmmm...

Look em up on Equasis and you'll find lots of information on there...

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew93 View Post
                  When I asked the Nautilus guy that came to speak to us he didn't have a clue.
                  'nuff said.

I bet he knew exactly how you should fill out the direct debit form though?
                  Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                    'nuff said.

I bet he knew exactly how you should fill out the direct debit form though?
                    We're not skeptical about Nautilus at all are we?

Comment

Ah Numast... or whatever they are called these days. They do print a lovely magazine, but to describe them as a useless bunch of self serving +#%@holes would be doing useless bunches of self serving +#%@holes around the world a disservice.
                      Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

What is it that makes nautalius so bad?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                          What is it that makes nautalius so bad?
                          Look through there own newspaper and see how many stories there are about them actually improving terms and conditions for seafarers, compared to how many stories there are about their "industrial officers" out and about on expenses paid junkets.

A total and utter waste of space. I have met some decent people who act as the Nautilus reps onboard ships, but they are always let down by the muppets in Wallasey (sp?) when it comes to actually getting anything other than cosmetic improvements.
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

While not a 'trade unionist' by any stretch of the imagination, the complete ineffectiveness of Nautilus is frankly astonishing. I was a member for many years, and felt extremely let down by their incompotence on numerous occasions (most recently by the botched pay talks with CUK). I suppose there is SOME value of being a member if you end up in a collision etc. but honestly you may just as well put the 20 quid a month into a high interest bank account and hope for the best.
                            Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyNougat View Post
                              Ah Numast... or whatever they are called these days. They do print a lovely magazine, but to describe them as a useless bunch of self serving +#%@holes would be doing useless bunches of self serving +#%@holes around the world a disservice.
                              Fully agree.

They published their expenses a couple of months ago in one of the Telegraphs and the amount so money that seems to get spent on nothing is crazy. They should break down their figures more to show what it goes on.

I would love to hear from any nautilus members out there who have been helped by them...

I'm only guessing but they are probably in the shipowners pockets when it comes to pay negotiations. A nice little sum of money to nautilus through a string of offshore bank accounts and the pay rise demands go away.

Comment

Working...
                              X