Research Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Vessels

Just interested in what it takes to work as a deck officer on a polar research vessel, things like where you would apply for a job in the first place, and if any extra training is required.

If anyone has any experience in the field it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Hi Chloe, I work on a fishery protection vessel in the South Atlantic, not quite polar research but I have met quite a few people who work for British Antarctic Survey. I'd suggest getting in touch with BAS to see if they're taking on cadets. Otherwise, once you've got your ticket you could apply for a job with them. Ice navigation is something you learn on the job, basically you just have to be extra vigilant, use an extra very short range radar and a searchlight at night. They will teach you about ice and ice navigation at college as well.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

There are lots of small passengers ships that operate in the polar regions - the ship I work on does some research, field support as well a carrying passengers which means that our work it more varied that some of the pure science ships - ice experience if going to be a big thing in coming years - the opening up of the northern sea routes is going to create demand for it.
      I would look at polar expedition ships if you want to really explore the polar regions, or companies like BAS (although they are going through financial cutbacks at the moment)
      Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

It should be pointed out that jobs on vessels like the BAS research ships are essentially "dead man's shoes" jobs, and it's generally a case of not only what you know, but also who you know. If you're looking to get into that sector, and can't get a cadetship on a research vessel, the next best thing would be to get work on a similar ship type, ie, small, manoeuvrable vessels such as buoy tenders, off-shore, supply vessels... Holy Nougat's suggestions are also excellent.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

What company is that holy naught?

Comment

I suspect if you look at her avatar you find the answer!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Yip now I look like an idiot :P

Comment

www.expeditions.com
                Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Hi Chloe

Im not sure if its still the case but during my Trininty House Cadetship a few of my mates did BAS trips although competition for the berths on the BAS trip was high! (the 2 people who I know did trips couldnt stop talking about it for years!)

Cheers

Chris
                  Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

I'm a cadet with TH and BAS didn't seem to be available (what a great trip that would have been), but a SSTG cadet in my class did get a trip with them if thats any help.
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Working...
                    X