Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about Trinity House Application

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Confused about Trinity House Application

    I have just completed an online application on the Trinity House website for deck officer cadet but I'm slightly confused because the confirmation email is from Viking Recruitment . My reason for applying for sponsorship with TH was the variety of vessels - also Viking want a Higher or A level in Maths or Physics which I won't have. I already have 156 Ucas points and should end up with 300- 350 but my Maths is a standard grade credit 2 and I will be sitting physics int 2 next year for which I hope to get an A. There is obviously something I don't understand about the process - can anyone please explain?

  • #2
    Originally posted by RobB1210 View Post
    I have just completed an online application on the Trinity House website for deck officer cadet but I'm slightly confused because the confirmation email is from Viking Recruitment . My reason for applying for sponsorship with TH was the variety of vessels - also Viking want a Higher or A level in Maths or Physics which I won't have. I already have 156 Ucas points and should end up with 300- 350 but my Maths is a standard grade credit 2 and I will be sitting physics int 2 next year for which I hope to get an A. There is obviously something I don't understand about the process - can anyone please explain?
    Rob,

    My son looked at Trinity House. They have always been unusual, even back in my day in the 80's in that they do not have their own ships but sponsor cadetships to help improve the quality of Navigation. When their website was not working we rang up and it went through to Viking. When I asked why the MD of Viking told me that they handle recruitment for many organisations and for Trinity House they do everything up to shortlisting for interview. That is why you will be talking to them in the first instance.

    Regards

    Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

    "Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

    Comment


    • #3
      When I was starting my cadetship with TH Chiltern Maritime (who administrate the Trinity House Bursary scheme, as well as a couple of other charitable sponsorship schemes) had just been bought up by the people who run Viking, they do now have separate offices and staff, but still share a lot of information and resources. If you've applied to TH, then it will be the Chiltern people you deal with mostly, but as Hatchorder said, the initial stages are sometimes dealt with by Viking,

      Size4riggerboots

      Moderator
      Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you both - that sounds reassuring (I think). Just got to hope that Viking don't reject me outright because of the Maths/ physics thing. I guess if they're processing on behalf of Trinity then they go by their entry requirements and not Vikings. Fingers crossed!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RobB1210 View Post
          Thank you both - that sounds reassuring (I think). Just got to hope that Viking don't reject me outright because of the Maths/ physics thing. I guess if they're processing on behalf of Trinity then they go by their entry requirements and not Vikings. Fingers crossed!
          I have been given some more information for you. Trinty house applications are managed by Chiltern. Viking often send emails as they are linked to Chiltern as well so you are likely to get emails from both organisations. Viking do not set the entry requirements for Trinity House so don't worry about Viking.

          Hope that helps. Thanks M.

          Ian
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

          "Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RobB1210 View Post
            I have just completed an online application on the Trinity House website for deck officer cadet but I'm slightly confused because the confirmation email is from Viking Recruitment . My reason for applying for sponsorship with TH was the variety of vessels - also Viking want a Higher or A level in Maths or Physics which I won't have. I already have 156 Ucas points and should end up with 300- 350 but my Maths is a standard grade credit 2 and I will be sitting physics int 2 next year for which I hope to get an A. There is obviously something I don't understand about the process - can anyone please explain?
            You no longer get UCAS points for credit standard grades. Sounds like your using an old ucas points calculator. You now only get points for highers and advanced highers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              You no longer get UCAS points for credit standard grades. Sounds like your using an old ucas points calculator. You now only get points for highers and advanced highers.
              Thanks - I was only doing the calculations for highers ( and the int 2) http://www.ucas.co.uk/students/ucas_.../factsheet/sqa
              - that's for 2010 onwards - unless there's a more recent one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Good luck with your application Rob1210

                I was lucky enough to be a TH Cadet and looking back now it was the best decision of my life, some companies you will love, others you wont but at the end it will give you at least a handfull of companies you can probably pick up a job with ("try before you buy"!!).

                Even now as a Pilot it has helped me for various reasons (knowing companies / diffferent ship types / ability to easily converse with masters etc).
                Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pilot Chris View Post
                  Good luck with your application Rob1210

                  I was lucky enough to be a TH Cadet and looking back now it was the best decision of my life, some companies you will love, others you wont but at the end it will give you at least a handfull of companies you can probably pick up a job with ("try before you buy"!!).

                  Even now as a Pilot it has helped me for various reasons (knowing companies / diffferent ship types / ability to easily converse with masters etc).
                  Thanks - always good to hear first hand experience

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thought I'd butt in here as I have a related question. I applied to Chiltern about a week back, and got an automated reply from Viking (still nothing about whether I was successful or not). Does this mean that it's pointless to apply to Viking as well, as they already have my application for Chiltern, or should I apply to each company run by Viking individually?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Apply to Viking separately I would say

                      Size4riggerboots

                      Moderator
                      Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X