Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Saltier CV?

Hello all,

Just looking for a little advice. I know that sponsoring companies are looking for smart young people who are passionate about a career at sea. However, I'm having trouble pulling my CV away from aircraft. Having done a college course, in aircraft, only ever worked in the aircraft industry, and been involved with the Air Training Corps for many years, I'm really struggling to get my point across. I've given a good deal of reasoning as to why I want a career at sea in my covering letter, and have mentioned my tall ships and sailing voyages but is it worth trying to make it more sea orientated? Maybe cover off a couple of RYA courses? Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Any CV boosting, application boosting or general advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Adam,

I recently helped a cadet with his CV. He was air cadets all through and wanted to go in the RAF. We changed his CV so it showed that cadets etc was the only thing he could do where he lived but it showed his commitment, discipline, attention to detail etc and once we had done that we got 2 offers of interviews out of his next 2 applications, both of which were converted to offers. You can also explain why your current career does not satisfy you and why you need to change. One of the lads on my sons course did a masters degree in Chemistry and worked in the chemical industry before he changed direction. Didn't stop him getting in.

I think your CV needs to be presented properly to do you any good. Look around the forums and you will find a thread where I gave a lot of advice about your CV. I have recently helped someone redo their CV and I have to say the two documents are so different it is untrue.

I think I may sit and write a generic CV and upload it so people can see what they need to aim at sometime.

Hope this helps you make a start.

Good luck, and keep us informed of how you get on.

Ian.
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm in exactly the same situation - I'm finding it particularly difficult to get across exactly what I want in my personal statement. The main advice I have been given is to be honest and do not exaggerate your experience or reasons why you think you would be suitable. It's difficult as we all want our applications to stand out but I suppose it's really how well you come across as well as experience etc. Good luck with your applications, I'm off the go another round with this bloody personal statement!
      A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor

Comment

Originally posted by Atalanta View Post
        Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm in exactly the same situation - I'm finding it particularly difficult to get across exactly what I want in my personal statement. The main advice I have been given is to be honest and do not exaggerate your experience or reasons why you think you would be suitable. It's difficult as we all want our applications to stand out but I suppose it's really how well you come across as well as experience etc. Good luck with your applications, I'm off the go another round with this bloody personal statement!
        Hmmm... I see what you all mean, but in my 2 years of applications, to every company you have heard of (and probably some you haven't), without so much as a single interview, I can assure you that personal statements, "why I want to be a sailor" etc is probably not the clincher. Exam results, age, jollies on Tall Ships etc are the things which attract people like SSTG, RFA or whoever you want to mention. I've been to the Open Days, talked to the "people", had extensive communications with numerous HR officers and their ilk in all kinds of companies, agencies, you name it. I've many years of useful experience, transferable skills, and personal statements that I'm sure would make many peoples' look pretty lame. It makes no difference. They just don't want people outside of a certain range of academic parameters, age and existing skills eg electrical engineering......unless you are pretty exceptional, and preferably under 30 years old. I've had this from the horse's mouth, when you can find an honest/brave one. It's a pain, as I really wanted to give a maritime career my best effort. The same situation exists in aviation, the power generation industry, and oil and gas production it seems. So, as I can't invent a time machine and go back 20 or 30 years, go for a nice University Degree and trump a few people, or save up and buy my own ship (it's a plan!), I'm not afraid to admit defeat on this one. I still think anyone who feels that a career in the MN is worth persuing is probably right, and good luck to you, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over a couple of paragraphs at the end of your application forms.......what's on the rest of the form is a damn sight more important. That's my humble opinion anyway.

Just make the most of it, those of you who do get in. You probably won't realise how lucky you are, if it all seemed like plain sailing.
        I'm no expert, but I really don't think it should be making that noise...

Comment

Hi I am terribly sorry this is a 2 week old thread but it saved starting a new thread.

I am really struggling with both a personal statement for a maersk application and a cv.

I was an air cadet when growing up because i did not know we had sea cadets where i lived, i applied to the raf but with drew my application.

And i just cant think how to put stuff into a cv. as for my personal statement i have wrote one for maersk but think i have swayed away from the main question getting my self so riled!

Comment

Working...
          X