what to do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do???

i am looking at doing a cadetship. I am currently weighing up the pros and cons to each cadetship. I need some info into witch cadetship to go for. my Questions are can an electro cadet become chief enginer? what dose a cadet do on watch? and any more info on any thing I need to know.

Originally posted by jacko View Post
    i am looking at doing a cadetship. I am currently weighing up the pros and cons to each cadetship. I need some info into witch cadetship to go for. my Questions are can an electro cadet become chief enginer? what dose a cadet do on watch? and any more info on any thing I need to know.
    An Electro-Tech cadet cannot become a Chief Engineer. A cadet does what they are told to on watch depending on which department they are in and what the current operation at that time is. For example, if you're an engineering cadet on a tanker with steam turbines doing a cargo discharge, you will most likely be assisting one of the engineers on monitoring the boilers, if you're a deck cadet you will be in the CCR controlling the discharge itself and if you're a ET cadet, then you'll be making the coffee...

Any other information you'll find using the search bar, but one thing I would advise, brush up on your spelling and grammar as your application will not go anywhere otherwise...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Yeah an ETO wont become chief engineer without basically retraining into the engineering job and following the progression, however on ships that have a large electrical department (cruise ships) its going to have a chief or seinor ETO which is effectively equvalent i.e. your head of department. Other places that dont employ more than one per ship will most likely make some increase based on years in rank/ experience/ extra qualifications this potentially means that even if your not very good as long as you stick at it you can get the pay rises etc its a bit of a failing in the system but hey ho and we will assume you will be good at it if thats what you choose.

Cargo discharge
      Deck cadet, sit in CCR watch bar charts go down
      Engine cadet, sit in ECR watch bar charts stay level
      ETO cadet, have a study day, get called when an alarm goes off.

it is worth pointing out that an ETO doesnt do watches you have your standard hours for day work and will normally have to make an appearance for the start up of machinery like cargo pumps or for manouvering where basically if things go wrong you want to be on hand to fix them, after that you get on with your day to day work, cargo ops can be a bit different to that as you generally dont do a standard days work
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
      X