Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview worries!

Hi there,
    after a few applications iv finally managed to score an interview with clyde marine.
    Trouble is i applied as an aspiring engineer cadet, which i was until now as i do see myself as a deck cadet.
    Can anyone give me any advice on how i can tell the interviewers this change? do they see this as a weakness?
    thanks

Hmmm it's a bit of a strange predicament, why have you all of a sudden decided you don't want to be an engineer? From my experience, little as it is at the moment, you would probably be better off telling them now as I can't see them looking to kindly on you deciding once you have started as you will have to start again from the beginning. Any particular reason why you want to be a deckie and not an engineer?

Comment

just tell them in the interview or tell them in a email, but don't forget there is more competition as a deck cadet, so where you could be likely to get in as a engine you might not as a deck.

Comment

Is this for the September 2013 intake?
        C

Comment

Is their more competition for deck cadet places I never heards this before. I always assumed there was the same amount of interest in both routes.

Comment

I guess at the interview they'll be expecting you to bang on about why you want to be one or other. Seems it would be a good idea to tell them before, if you've got the grades then they probably won't mind too much.

Comment

With my interview with CMT, they did ask if i was doing deck or engineering, though I think that was more of a confirmation. How long did you wait between application to now? If it was a while, as it was with me i think they are more likely to understand but you have to be 100% sure what YOU want! They can see uncertainty in Interviews.
              The Clyde interview is pretty much a 'match-making' job and even if you told them you want to change, i think you need to convince them come the interview. If they don't think you are right from the interview (thats the only way they know you) they wont take you on...but simply because this career is one you dont want to dislike and feel stuck in. Fact is, tell them, phone call is probably best, go to the interview, blow them away and there shouldnt be a problem (in my view at least)
              The Interview is about you, Not Them! (though a bit of CMT knowledge helps)
              Sorry for the riddle, but hope that helps
              "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
              -- William Arthur War

Twitter - @tommisevenfold

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, called them up and it sounded like it was ok. To reply to some of the questions. I applied at the beginning of july, I knew it was really late with the sept intake prepared to begin and all but i crossed my fingers for jan intake. Applied to a few other aswell as CMT. For the change in mind it was really an internal struggle with myself, wanting to do engineering cause the family would be happy or deck which i thought seemed very interesting, was intrigued by the navigation and all. Again thanks so much guys

Comment

Glad you found everything helpful again, just go for it. CMT have always been helpful to me so best of luck with your Interview and beyond. Just remember, go for what YOU want to do. there is naturally a lot of banter and rivalry between us deckies and those little old oil drinkers so i wont give to much opinion other than the bridge window has a better view than the porthole way below... but thats just for amusement's purposes just make sure you get your dream career best of luck
                  "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                  -- William Arthur War

Twitter - @tommisevenfold

Comment

Working...
                  X