Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 Visa

Hi Guys,

So I have a cadetship with Bibby starting in Jan at STC. I already have a B1/B2 US Visa which is a business visa (B1 part) and a holiday/Pleasure visa (B2). Now the B1 allows me to travel within the US for business purposes for up to 28 days, this includes any business affair acting on behalf of a company etc etc, Which the way I interpret it is that as I will be employed whilst at sea, entering the US for the shipping companies business purposes, my visa should cover me.

Now the question is would I still need a C1D visa too? Clearly my visa is far superior to the C1D. Go figure it allows me far more freedom and is a much harder visa to obtain.

Has anyone heard of Commercial guys sailing with a B1/B2? Bibby say it should not be a problem and will not need a C1D but I want to make sure...

Cheers!!

They probably send you to get one anyway. They like putting cadets on a bus for extended periods of time for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by jf13th View Post
      Hi Guys,

So I have a cadetship with Bibby starting in Jan at STC. I already have a B1/B2 US Visa which is a business visa (B1 part) and a holiday/Pleasure visa (B2). Now the B1 allows me to travel within the US for business purposes for up to 28 days, this includes any business affair acting on behalf of a company etc etc, Which the way I interpret it is that as I will be employed whilst at sea, entering the US for the shipping companies business purposes, my visa should cover me.

Now the question is would I still need a C1D visa too? Clearly my visa is far superior to the C1D. Go figure it allows me far more freedom and is a much harder visa to obtain.

Has anyone heard of Commercial guys sailing with a B1/B2? Bibby say it should not be a problem and will not need a C1D but I want to make sure...

Cheers!!
      Yes and No. The B1/B2 visa is not superior in any way, it's just a different type of visa (used for attending conferences, meetings, training seminars, visiting vessels, etc). Most Supernintendo's with vessel's in that area carry them because we need them to go and visit vessels. AFAIK, they are not suitable for joining as ship's staff, you'd need the C1/D1 for that, so you will probably need to go and get that.
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Sorry but you will need a C-1/D visa. It is the only one which permits you entry to the US on a ship. If you were flying to the US, joining a ship and then leaving the US on a ship you cannot do it on a B1/B2 as this is only a tourist Visa. The C-1/D visa is not interchangeable with the B-1/B-2 category. The C-1/D is specifically for ship's crew and airline pilots to allow them to fly to, or from, the US and arrive, or leave, by a ship. It also allows you to transit the US on a ship where the US is not your joining, or leaving, point.

The advice you have been given is wrong. The B1/B2 is not a superior visa, it is a tourist visa. You may hold both but you cannot use one for the other's purpose.

Hope this helps.

Ian
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
          The B1/B2 is not a superior visa, it is a tourist visa.
          B-1 is for business visitors, B-2 is for tourists, B-1/B-2 is combined. Certain mariners require a B-1, but it's a bit of a niche.

OP would be best served by inquiring with US Embassy or State Department.

Comment

As mentioned above C1-D is a transit visa, specifically for the purpose of joining a ship. I hold both a B1/B2 and C1-D, and use the B1/B2 for joining private super yachts and the C1-D for joining commercial super yachts/vessels. A B1/B2 cannot be used for joining a commercial vessel. It is possible to convert between visas when in country, but at the discretion of the CBP Officer.

Comment

Cheers guys. Looks like a phone call to the embassy and another over exaggerated anti-terrorist visa application form to fill in...

Comment

The B1 and B2 Visa's are both classed as visitor Visa's.

The next class of Visa are the Work Visa's which include the C-1/D, the E's H's and some others and then the final category is the Immigration Visa. Let's not get into semantics, you cannot use a B1 to join or leave a commercial ship. Therefore you will need to have a C-1/D.
                "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Working...
                X