current situation of sea jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• current situation of sea jobs

hi! I am a marine engineer and appearing for class iv exam.left wid 1 oral only.bt problem is dat i am hearing a lot about recession in shipping..nd com. Are hiring asst iv and lyj dat and giving a very low pay..is it true?? i am worried a lot..

I am sure there are plenty of jobs for Marine Engineers out there. Back of Nautilus good place to start. Perhaps the problem is your CV, if you wrote it how you wrote that post.
    Linkedin

Comment

Can someone translate that for me? I can't read texting language...
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
        Can someone translate that for me? I can't read texting language...
        Hi! I am a Marine Engineer, soon to be attempting the oral exam for my Certificate of Competency - Engineer Officer of the Watch. The problem is, I am hearing a lot about the double dip recession affecting careers in shipping. Are any companies hiring new Fourth Engineers, and if so, are they attempting to pay a sub-standard salary? It's all a bit worrying.
        Linkedin

Comment

You don't have a comma before and
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Close enough
            Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
              Hi! I am a Marine Engineer, soon to be attempting the oral exam for my Certificate of Competency - Engineer Officer of the Watch. The problem is, I am hearing a lot about the double dip recession affecting careers in shipping. Are any companies hiring new Fourth Engineers, and if so, are they attempting to pay a sub-standard salary? It's all a bit worrying.
              Thanks for that.

The answer is yes and no. The industry, as a whole, is in a very fragile state. There is not much of a margin between profit and a loss on a voyage, so cuts are having to be made where they can. At the moment, wages are not being cut because keeping decent officer's and crew requires you to pay them a decent wage and most have CBA's similar to what the ITF has as a "standard". The cuts are primarily being focused on fuel costs, simply because that is the biggest cost for a vessel once the wages have been paid. Even saving just 1% of fuel per day can lead to savings within the hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

Companies are still hiring junior officers simply because it would be a damn sight foolish for them not to as the current juniors will eventually progress on-wards/leave and so the need for fresh blood will always be there. If you're asking if they will hire you at a decent level after sending them a CV and covering letter with spelling and grammar that is as bad as the message you've left here, well lets just say I've got more of a chance of buggering off to Rio De Janeiro with twin supermodels....
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

You mean these ones GM? see them around glasgow a lot?
                you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
                X