Surviving Phase 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surviving Phase 1

So seeing that I shall be starting FD Engine phase 1 soon, just thought I would see if anybody has got any tips.

well theres quite a high workload on the fd courses so keep up with the work each week and revision will seem easier. don't leave things to the last minute. (I wish I followed my own advice)
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

1) Keep your head down and do your work,
      2) Weekend when there are no exams about are for going out on the lash,
      3) No the weekdays are not for going out on the lash, (many a cadet has been kicked out for this)
      4) You are not "being paid for a college course" you're in the entry stages of a good career and think of it as an actual job,
      5) Don't go doing anything stupid that may get you carpeted by any of your bosses,
      6) If you don't understand something, ****ing well ask someone who will know! ( A lecturer or something)
      7)Time Management, VERY IMPORTANT
      8) Don't rise to anything, if someone is being a prick, keep your head down and crack on, don't rise to it,
      9) Actually show up to your classes (again, many a cadet kicked out over this),
      10) Drugs, just don't...

Simples...
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Following on
        Read the paperwork and know the rules, who to call and when if your sick and missing college etc. know who to contact in an emergency
        Obviously go to classes and seek help for things that you dont understand before the exam, most lecturers will help you but if its the week before the exam they wont be so keen
        Know how much you get paid and what expenses you have going out, then plan around this, dont spend more than you have
        Set up a student bank account to make use of the fact it will avoid a lot of charges, and get a cedit card which is useful for paying for anything that you can claim expenses for.
        similarly know the rules for claiming expenses and what you can claim theres no point missing out on something your entitled too.
        If you are using credit cards etc, pay it off at the end of the month,
        avoid pay day loans (wonga etc) it may seem like a good way to get through the last week of a month but next month you will be skint half way through.
        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Cheers

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but - to you deck cadets (and engineer cadets - although replace bridge with ecr);

The bridge are not your personal secretaries / wake up call system! Bring an alarm clock with you!

A sure fire way to piss off the OOW's is to constantly call the bridge looking for someone, or asking where they are;

If you have fallen down the stairs or set fire to something - yes this is an acceptable reason to call us... If you are looking for the bosun/waterman/fire patrol/safety/chief officer/carpenter/any random person because you've been told to go work with them and you're to lazy to walk to the bosun store / go look for them incase he isn't there - this will generally be met with a 2 word response followed by the phone being slammed down on you!
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
              I don't think anyone has mentioned this but - to you deck cadets (and engineer cadets - although replace bridge with ecr);

The bridge are not your personal secretaries / wake up call system! Bring an alarm clock with you!

A sure fire way to piss off the OOW's is to constantly call the bridge looking for someone, or asking where they are;

If you have fallen down the stairs or set fire to something - yes this is an acceptable reason to call us... If you are looking for the bosun/waterman/fire patrol/safety/chief officer/carpenter/any random person because you've been told to go work with them and you're to lazy to walk to the bosun store / go look for them incase he isn't there - this will generally be met with a 2 word response followed by the phone being slammed down on you!
              Oops, sorry!
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                Oops, sorry!
                Your the Chief Engineer though!! Not the cadet!
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Oops, sorry!
                  That sounded like permission to call for anything and everything...
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I have been so used to wandering onto the bridge as an excuse to have a coffee that I never used to phone, on here the bridge coffee is infamous throughout the Mediterranean as the worst coffee afloat so I tend to use the phone more often! The ECR coffee is pretty good and the chief electricians office has the best coffee on the ship.

Some of the passenger bars serve reasonably good coffee too, but not as good as the chief electrician.
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

I have been so used to wandering onto the bridge as an excuse to have a coffee that I never used to phone, on here the bridge coffee is infamous throughout the Mediterranean as the worst coffee afloat so I tend to use the phone more often! The ECR coffee is pretty good and the chief electricians office has the best coffee on the ship.

Some of the passenger bars serve reasonably good coffee too, but not as good as the chief electrician.
                      Im bringing Starbucks with me when I return

? Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                        Im bringing Starbucks with me when I return
                        Go out, do stuff

Comment

This is rather off track now, but i will add that i've had a real problem on 66% of ships that the officers on the bridge insist on making me tea when i visit, although i dont ring them before hand.
                          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

I started at Warsash this January and I was really nervous. I am now waiting to go to sea for the first time and cannot wait. My best advice is:
                            - Get involved with everyone. Your guna be spending the next 3 or so years with these people, don't be one of those people who just hangs around with their roomate, it's not cool.
                            - It's a cliche but get your work done. Phase 1 starts of really slow and you literally have nothing to do for while. The workload will get big really fast. The last thing you want are resits going into phase 3 as you'll have a LOT of work to do. Consider having a look through some of the stuff your guna be doing after half term with all the spare time you will have at the start.

Comment

All the best with your sea phase, and sounds like good advice about college time. I'm due to start in Jan on FD engineering. What are the term times like for the January intake? Do you remember your start date in Jan? Any Easter break? Gota family wedding in April so hoping I might be able to make it if we have any time off. I know dates won't be same etc but would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X