Lo and Behold... a Contract!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lo and Behold... a Contract!

So I came home from house sitting my current employers hotel to find a contract from Clyde Marine that I had all but given up hope of receiving. However, it wasn't for Warsash, it's for Glasgow. I'm absolutely fine with this but I am a little confused by the documents I have received, not to mention the myriad of things that have to be organized in such short time (I work 6 days a week so a month really isn't very long).

Firstly the documents, I have a sample trainee sponsorship agreement, but not an actual one. I assume this is fulfilled at a later date, not entirely sure it's purpose in amongst the others aside for me to see it. *EDIT* Just re read the acknowledgement of Sponsorship agreement sheet!

Secondly, the Personal Data sheet asks for a US Visa number... which I don't have and a discharge book number... which I obviously don't have. Do I send them back blank or do I have to obtain a US Visa? The offering letter states I need to pass the MCA ENG1 (which I assume is arranged after accepting the offer), obtaining a satisfactory reference and sighting my passport but nothing about a US visa.

About the latter two. Would a photocopy of my passport be sufficient? And in what form do they require a reference? Just a letter of reference? As there is nowhere to put a reference otherwise.

Would it be worth my while contacting Glasgow concerning halls, or should I wait until I am more sorted (I understand the later I leave it the slimmer my chances of getting into halls are... if there is any chance now!)

You'll have to forgive my anxiety but I believe college begins in just a month and I don't want to hold anything up. I only just got in so I obviously couldn't contact Clyde Marine today!

Leave them blank if you don't have a visa or discharge book; these will be arranged by them(probably in slow time but before your first seaphase) and the ENG1 will be dealt with between now and the start of your course by CMT. CMT will want to see the actual documents, but did you not show them when you went for interview?
    '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
    just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
    down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
    new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Firstly, congratulations mate!

Right, US visa and discharge book will get sorted once you're at college.

You will need to get your ENG1 done, you should be able to google for a list of MCA approved doctors. You'll probably have to pay for it and then claim in back on expenses.

As to the other two questions, I'm not sure, maybe there are other Clyde peeps about who can help more.

However... Chill out man! Call Clyde on Monday morning and get them to clarify all these things for you and meanwhile, GO CELEBRATE!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
        However... Chill out man! Call Clyde on Monday morning and get them to clarify all these things for you and meanwhile, GO CELEBRATE!!
        Do this; CMT will tell you exactly what they are expecting you to do and what they will be doing for you.

Comment

Congratulations mate! I called Clyde yesterday about my rejection letter and they said I could go to Glasgow instead if I wanted which totally threw me. After 24 hours deliberating I have decided to not go to Glasgow this year and today signed up for an advanced maths and physics course and an Engineering BTEC. Gonna have another crack next year.

Enjoy it, let us know how you get on!

Dan.

Comment

Well if by celebrate you mean work lol...

They actually mention the ENG1 being arranged on the introductory letter, in fact it states: "Passing an unrestricted MCA approved medical examination (to be arranged)" which kind of threw me.

I must admit at first I was a bit Glasgow... my friends are in Cornwall and the missus in Hampshire so getting to see them is going to be nigh on impossible but I always accepted that as part and parcel of what I was putting myself in for however I've already had the text from the missus that simply read "So what about us?" Which I guess means I've either not been clear enough what this career will entail or she was banking on me getting into Warsash.

Comment

Yikes! It's perfectly possible to keep a relationship going in this career, as long as you trust each other completely and can deal with not getting any sex for 4-6 months at a time ;(

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                Yikes! It's perfectly possible to keep a relationship going in this career, as long as you trust each other completely and <strike>don't mind</strike> can deal with not getting any sex for 4-6 months at a time ;(
                It's not the career that bothers her. It's the three and a half years I'm at college and the lack of leave I'll have during it. At the end of the day, she knew I was going to college even if they sent me to the Shetlands. I guess now it's in paper it's dawning on her. Kinda puts a dampner on it but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Comment

I'm having the same **** with Mrs Billwillis; we're not married of course, I just wanted to use "MRS" as a prefix to ultimately show what a sad internet forum dwelling tosser I am. I am going on Holiday with her tomorrow, and I was thinking of asking her to marry me; but I really don't want to get married if I'm honest. I don't see why two people who love each other need to stage some costly charade. I can understand why she wants to, obviously. I want to stay with her, but she's so insecure that, if I went away without getting engaged, I don't think she'd be convinced that I want to be with her. I kind of feel like I have to do it. When the relationship started, it was me that was pulling my hair out over her going out and that, and now the roles have reversed. She goes sick when I go out; I get all sorts of accusations about "slags" etc. She has nothing to worry about at all, and I've told her this a million times and there's not much more I can do really....I guess this holiday might be make or break.

Comment

It costs buttons to get the piece of paper from the registry office; it's the divorce at the other end that costs you!

Comment

Working...
                    X