Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work experience

Hi folks, long time no see :')
    I am in secondary school at the moment, and my work experience is coming up next year :S
    So i basically have to sort something out for myself pretty soonish, because it can sometimes take a while to get the ball rolling with these things.
    I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to anything that i could do that would be relevant to a deck cadetship?
    I know someone who is a naval architect that might be willing to take me on, but i'm really not sure if that's going to work out.

Thanks

Hello,

Start off, you probably won't be allowed near the ships simply because of Insurance. What I can suggest is contacting a local Ship Management or Class society near you and see if they will let you in to their office for the week. We do it from time to time and we tend to put them in a different department each day for example: -

Day 1 - Operations/Post Fixture
    Day 2 - Technical
    Day 3 - Purchasing
    Day 4 - Crewing
    Day 5 - MS&Q

Where are you based again?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'm based on the outskirts of london, but I can make anywhere in england work. And yeah, i wasn't really expecting them to let a 14 year old kid jump on to a ship for a weeks worth of work experience :')
      Anything remotely related to shipping would be great, even if it is based in an office.

Comment

Originally posted by Chloe View Post
        I'm based on the outskirts of london, but I can make anywhere in england work. And yeah, i wasn't really expecting them to let a 14 year old kid jump on to a ship for a weeks worth of work experience :')
        Anything remotely related to shipping would be great, even if it is based in an office.
        You're based in the best area for it then! London is a major hub of international shipping. Have a look around on the web, send them a polite letter (not an email) and see what responses you get. Pass us some details and stuff and I can pass it off to a friend of mine who's down south who might be able to help you as he does recruiting for all the major companies down there.

EDIT: Actually, I've just had a quick re-think. My pal's away for the next few months on a project, so don't send us details. Instead, you have a few companies down there you can contact. OOCL, Rio Tinto, V.Ships, MOL Tankers, Zodiac, London Ship Manager, Wilhelmsen (not sure if it's still there or not), etc, etc
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Hey! Well I was 15 when I done my work experience at the local port authority, and other than the occasional decent guy who would take me on a ship for a sneaky look, I wasnt allowed to do much, although I did learn a lot about containers etc which came in handy at the interview stage! Are there any powerboating schools nearby, I used to volunteer for one and they took on an occasional work experience guy. As you said, having something near water is great for when it comes to applying, it gave me loads to talk about at interviews :-)

Comment

If you're looking for something related to equipment and maintenance of navigation equipment, Kelvin Hughes have their HQ in north london. I know a couple of people who did work experience there.

They make Radars, ECDIS systems and other navigational bits and pieces.

To boldly go.....
            Forum Administrator
            OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Thanks everyone
              I'll be sure to get in touch with some of these companies sooner rather than later.

Comment

Hi Chloe, I didn't do my work experience with them but later on I found out I could of, i'm not sure if its still the case because it was a little while ago, but have you tried the 'Ocean Youth Trust', i think i seen something there saying you where in London, well they have a ship operating in the South East i think. This would mean you actually going on a boat at sea not an office stapling paper together. I hope you find somewhere you like whatever it may be, good luck! =]

Comment

I forgot perhaps the most important part. . . . the link =/

http://www.oytsouth.org/

Comment

That's great! my 'rents wouldn't mind getting rid of me for a while over the summer hols
                    Everyone's suggestions have been fantastic, all of these would look great on my CV.

Comment

Hi Chloe

Before I applied for my cadetship I did 5 days with Stena Line on one of their ships (Stena Explorer, the HSS service from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire). I was not aloud to stay on board overnight (no berths), but was on the ship for their entire operational day from about 0800 till around 1900. It was a fantastic insight into the career, but as the captain said to me, it was a very artificial view of the job considering they are home in their own beds every night!! I contacted every company I could think of and Stena Line were the only one's who said yes. If you are anywhere in the North West or North Wales give them an e-mail or a call. I will try and find the e-mail address I contacted them with, was a nice lady from the office in Holyhead who sorted it all out for me. I was lucky that I had a friend I stayed with for the 5 nights, so if you manage to get it sorted out you might have to pay for a hotel or B&B.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Google the London sailing project, they may be able to help, ANdrew Weir Shipping have offices in London, and the Port of London Authority are worth a try as well.
                        Go out, do stuff

Comment

When I was on my Work Experience I went down to my local port and mainly worked with Port Ops. and Estuary Control and a few wee trips on the pilot boat. Sadly I was there on the quietest week they have had but they made it work, but mind you family connections did help me out though.
                          "The man who goes to sea is a man in despair.";- Marco Polo

Comment

Working...
                          X