Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a couple of questions

What's the best type of ship to work on? (cargo, tanker, cruise, liner, etc)
    Is it possible to get a degree from a HND through the shipping company or is there a different way in going about it? or maybe it ain't possible at all?

Feel free to add questions to the thread if you wish

There's quite a lot of topics on which is best just simply use the search, they generally just say it depends on life style and what you put in you get out. But also that it's easier to go from wet cargo to dry, and a bit harder to go from cruise to other ships. I think.

There are plenty of top up courses but if you can do a foundation degree route (got to have ucas points) then it's only a one year top up to get a degree, some company's will pay for this and others won't but will give you study leave. For example when I went to carnival I am doing the foundation degree route, they will pay for the top up, if you work hard on your FD but think they also add some time onto your contract so you can't leave earlier.

Comment

Really depends on your attitude and what you want to get out of this career. I want to work on wet cargo tankers, preferably LNG, I think that's the best place you can start as a cadet. If you want the Hollywood lifestyle, cargo ships probably won't be your thing. Offshore support seems like a great way to test your personal endurance.

Comment

Well I did really want to travel to the nicer places of the world, I'm guessing a cruise ship or a liner would take me to these places. can someone clarify this?
        Being respected would be a plus too, so maybe there are certain ships that have the most respect for their workers.

I think a good all rounder ship will be the best to work on for me, but maybe someone on here has some great memories on a particular ship?

thanks for the help by the way

Comment

Even on a cruise ships the majority of the time your NOT going to get off to ship and explore like the people having holidays. A lot of different ships visit different parts of the world that are not cruise ships.
          "Riches don't make a man rich, they only make him busier" Christopher Columbus

Comment

If your really wanting to visit nice places in the world, you need to be asking which ship or company will give me the most time off between contracts - then you go on holiday and visit them
            As a cadet you will get more time off in port than at any other time - as you really dont need to be there after all, on here most of the officers can get off between watches when in port as during cargo work nothing else is really done, (all the ratings are needed for cargo work and a few other reasons) but your still only talking about maybe 6 hours at best and obviously if you go ashore and come back late for watch your not getting ashore again for a while.

For a few reaosns it seems that tankers and things seem to be viewed well and the limited experience you get will be good if your going to hate it then its a long 6 or 12 months to get through as a cadet
            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_on_the_Bridge View Post
              Even on a cruise ships the majority of the time your NOT going to get off to ship and explore like the people having holidays. A lot of different ships visit different parts of the world that are not cruise ships.
              If you want to play tourist the best ships to be on are those that spend a lot of time in port, preferably a few different ports. Relatively few commercial ships enjoy such an operating programme. The likes of cable ships on standby for cable repairs, or well stimulation ships might qualify. Maybe superyachts.

I don't think there are many better opportunities to be a seafaring tourist than the RFA. Take a look at what Fort Rosalie has been up to on her grand piss-up tour of the Caribbean: http://www.rfa-association.org/cms/a...Spring12_5.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicVW View Post
                Well I did really want to travel to the nicer places of the world, I'm guessing a cruise ship or a liner would take me to these places. can someone clarify this?
                Being respected would be a plus too, so maybe there are certain ships that have the most respect for their workers.

I think a good all rounder ship will be the best to work on for me, but maybe someone on here has some great memories on a particular ship?

thanks for the help by the way
                I don't really want to put a downer on your enthusiasm, but Cruise ships are the most difficult to get a cadetship with as they tend to want higher grades and everyone applies for them so there is a lot of competition.

Also, you're not going to be having a cruise, you're going on board to learn and work so it's doubtful you will get a massive time off to go ashore. Remember, you're going to have a portfolio that you will need to complete and that can take quite a bit of time to do.

Respect? You would be "the cadet", that is what you will be referred to as on board (sometimes with some spitting afterwards), and how respected you are depends on your ability to work and the standard of that work. If you're talking about how well the crew is treated in general, then you'll find that most are treated quite well.
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

a lot of superyachts do stay in port, but they stay in the same port and thats not really being a tourist. A lot of big ones will also lie to anchor in th enice parts of the world and that prevents just nipping ashore for a walk to some degree

Comment

I don't think you should really worry to much about where your going to be going during cadetship, when you qualify and are working you will most likely enjoy good holidays in-between times at sea, so go see all the places you'd like to see if you've got some spare cash then! That's how I look at it anyway, to me there are a few more important things to your cadetship than which ports you'll see.....whilst this is still an attraction of the job obviously....I'd rather get some quality training and good future opportunities and then use the leave to travel. My neighbor works North Sea, so he doesn't see anywhere glamorous at work......but then he goes away on holiday.....he's just come back from a month traveling around South East Asia....hope this helps you see what I'm trying to say!
                    All views are my own and not that of my employer/training company.

Comment

yeah I understand. It was one of my dreams to see the world, even if it was out of a window. @ Steve. So would you say I would have a better experience of seeing the world in the RFA than on any other ship, apart from a super yacht obviously? I did get a application form through the post about a week ago from the RFA which may be a good thing, isn't it?, might mean they may be interested in me.

If I do my HND do you think the company will let me get a degree afterwards? is this possible?

thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicVW View Post
                        So would you say I would have a better experience of seeing the world in the RFA than on any other ship, apart from a super yacht obviously?
                        Heed ETwhat?'s warning on superyachts. YMMV. I can't say I've heard of any cadetships on superyachts anyway.

RFAs spend lots of time in port in various parts of the world. Some parts more likely than others. Anecdotally from conversations on here and IRL, RFA personnel get a lot more time off to play tourist than is common in the MN. Read the link I posted earlier, it'll give you a good idea of where RFAs go most often.

I did get a application form through the post about a week ago from the RFA which may be a good thing, isn't it?, might mean they may be interested in me.
                        I think it means you asked them for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I think it means you asked them for one.
                          hahaha okay

Comment

on superyacht cadetships, there is the possibilty to do a cadetship for a oow (y) and its alos not totally unknown for cadets to be placed on superyachts if your with the right company, although that is moer by happy surpirse than anything you can actually control (so basically dont consider it as a 'plan')

Comment

Trampers might be more your thing. I think that's Carisbrooke's setup, they'll go all over the place. But again, how much you'll see of each place (and how many of those places you'll want to see) is negligible. Personally, I'm a cold weather person, so my career at sea really isn't likely to take me places I really want to see (sun and sand is a bit boring to me), seeing the parts of the world I want to is what I'll be doing between trips... not during them. Before you interview you need to know that you won't be travelling in the traditional sense, if you mention seeing the world as a motivator for joining the MN then you'll have to add the caveat that you understand that time in port is usually short and busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X