Finally, a contract!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, a contract!

I got my contract through today from CMT, after what seemed like a life time of waiting!

I have made my 3 choices;

I am going to choose

K-line, Northern Marine Management, and Latsco; although the order is not yet decided. Is that even relevant?

I've heard that certain companies only recruit cadets from certain places; etc (I think it was Chevron, and they only take on Northern Irish cadets, or something like that?)

With the aforementioned companies, would I be likely to encounter any issues?

Any thoughts on the companies would be welcome.

I had toyed with the notion of putting down RCL cruises; I think pretty much 99% of the people going for a cadetship would not be tempted to do it. But I've had a long hard think; and I reckon the chances of getting a position with them would be astronomical. I don't want to waste a choice really; and despite my professional career suggesting I am a "public" dealing with person; deep down...well, you don't want to know! I'd be happier on a Tanker as far away from land as possible!

Also, I'd like to thank everyone on here over the past year or so who's given me pointers along the way! It's been frustrating at times! It will all be worth it in the end!

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

Congratulations first of all. Secondly I think your choices will be personal to yourself, and whilst others can advise, go with your gut instinct unless someone gives you a solid reason not to.

Finally, your chances of staying employed at the end are increased exponentially if you work hard, keep up with all your coursework and get stuck into your cadetship. I don't mean be a "brown nose" more of a "keep yourself out of the brown smelly stuff". Oh... and have a few beers along the way, and a laugh, you will love it.

Good luck.

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I haven't received mine yet, thank you very much I wont be able to sleep tonight -.-

Comment

Lets hope none of you have cadetships like this guy.....

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/trampingLOF.html

When they say they don't make 'em like they did in the old days, perhaps it is just as well..... eeeekkkk!
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Cheers Ian, I intend to let my thirst for knowledge and enthusiasm do all the talking for me. Brown nosers can be spotted a mile off by any half decent judge of character and their mawkishly obsequious intentions are annoying, to say the least.

In my call centre days, there was a guy who would come up and talk to you, and mid sentence, would just stop, and scurry up to the operations manager and ask her how she was, if she was passing. One time, he came up, and started talking to me, and I decided I'd have a bit of fun, and just told him that I wouldn't be having a conversation with him on that occasion, because it was very upsetting for me, when he disregarded my conversations to get his little ratty nose up the ops managers anus. He went red, and denied any brown nosing. Needless to say, I didn't have to make anymore unwanted, pointless conversations with him, as he avoided me after that. Must not have liked a junior member of the team, much younger than him, having his card marked.

Comment

Great news, is that for a September start? Do you know which college?

Comment

Yeah, I start September, and I go to Fleetwood.

Comment

Personally I think you made some good choices, especially with Northern Marine. They're a very good company.
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Any other potential CMT cadets, especially ones probably going to Fleetwood got their contracts yet as well? Now the wait is seriously killing me!

Comment

And still not a peep from Warsash. Congrats, you had one of my early potential three in there, but I've settled on others since, if I get to make that choice!

Comment

Originally posted by ramfeild66 View Post
                      And still not a peep from Warsash. Congrats, you had one of my early potential three in there, but I've settled on others since, if I get to make that choice!
                      I wouldn't worry about it (easier said than done I know) I'm down for Fleetwood and haven't heard a thing

Comment

Working...
                      X