Cadetship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadetship

Hi all, I'm 16 and currently sitting my higher exams. I already have 5 two's and 2 one's at standard grade including Maths and Physics. And I expect to gain at least 3-4 Highers at grade B and an advanced higher at B. i have also sailed for 8-9 years on yachts and dighnies so is that an advantage?I'm very keen to join the merchant navy and have been thinking about joking the cruise sector(seems to be more appealing than tankers). Was just wondering about a few things;

Would I be considered or accepted into a cruising company with these grades even though I'll be 17?
    is the pay different from other sectors?
    does it take longer to progress through the ranks?
    and how easy or hard is it to get a job at the end of training?
    Would I be better to approach the companies directly or through recruitment companies?

Sorry for the long question but any advice/info is much appreciated.

Originally posted by Rs800 View Post
    Hi all, I'm 16 and currently sitting my higher exams. I already have 5 two's and 2 one's at standard grade including Maths and Physics. And I expect to gain at least 3-4 Highers at grade B and an advanced higher at B. i have also sailed for 8-9 years on yachts and dighnies so is that an advantage?I'm very keen to join the merchant navy and have been thinking about joking the cruise sector(seems to be more appealing than tankers). Was just wondering about a few things;
    I'm not sure how Scottish higher grades compare, but those sound like pretty good grades, would they get you onto a uni course?
    As for the yachts / dinghies, it will not be of any advantage in terms of the selection process other than as a facet of your personality, but these things are important too.

Would I be considered or accepted into a cruising company with these grades even though I'll be 17?
    Not sure about the grades as above, but more and more companies are looking for slightly more mature cadets, no harm in applying though, but keep the option open to go back to school for another year. You have something like a sixth form certificate which is the equivalent of A2, isn't that right?

is the pay different from other sectors?
    Yes, for junior officers it is usually worse

does it take longer to progress through the ranks?
    Progressing through the ranks depends on you getting the qualifications to do so, on your employers being impressed enough with your performance to promote you and with being in the right place at the right time when jobs become available.

and how easy or hard is it to get a job at the end of training?
    As above, it varies from company to company, the situation at the minute seems to be good, but it may change while you are training

Would I be better to approach the companies directly or through recruitment companies?
    Both, apply to as many companies as you can, there is more chance of getting accepted and you will get more of a feel for what is on offer and what you want to do.

Sorry for the long question but any advice/info is much appreciated.
    That's what the forum is here for.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Hi Rs800,
      tommo here ! I am also 16, and am doing my highers (maths, physics, geog, product design, and religious issues) what about u?

Anyway back to your questions- with the grades you have (standard grade) you would most likely be accepted into the hnd route, because you need 160 ucas points in highers.
      -The pay varies in different sectors ( cruise salary is less than tankers)
      -Depending on company you will normally almost certainly be offered a job, however be warned there are a few companies/recruitment organisations who do not grantee an offer you a job after your training.
      -In my opinion you would be better off in joining a company directly than going through a recruitment company, and i'm sure others on the forum would agree.

Hope this helps buddy!!
      Tommo

Comment

I'm 16 too, from what I have heard cruise ships are the worst ships to learn on as they are mainly new so there isn't as much to do/learn. After cadet ship then you may want to go on cruise ships but note that cruise ships are the lowest paid sector as all the companies concentrate on is making as much $$$$$ as possible

Comment

Thank for the replies guys, just wondering aswell if I did apply to a company or recruitment company do I have the desicion of what college or univercity I attend?

Comment

Ye you usually do, have you looked at Clyde marine training?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnylambert View Post
              I'm 16 too, from what I have heard cruise ships are the worst ships to learn on as they are mainly new so there isn't as much to do/learn. After cadet ship then you may want to go on cruise ships but note that cruise ships are the lowest paid sector as all the companies concentrate on is making as much $$$$$ as possible
              When I was a cadet (a few smokos ago), we were normally asked our preference and this was taken into account, but the ultimate decision is with the company.

Don't forget that you are applying for a job where you might be working on the other side of the world for 4 months at a time so if you ask to go to you local college so you can go home at weekends for mummy to do your washing then the interviewers will not see this as a positive thing.
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Where in god's name did the term "smokos" come from?

Comment

Originally posted by billwillis View Post
                  Where in god's name did the term "smokos" come from?
                  It refers to a smoke break, from the latin 'smokinorumus'.
                  "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by ciarmcg View Post
                    Ye you usually do, have you looked at Clyde marine training?
                    Hi yeah that's what I've been looking at some of my friends have gone through that route but i have heard they focus on tankers and container ships rather than cruise ships. I've looked into Viking recruitment but haven't heard much about them online.

Comment

Hi yeah that's what I've been looking at some of my friends have gone through that route but i have heard they focus on tankers and container ships rather than cruise ships. I've looked into Viking recruitment but haven't heard much about them online.
                      Your expected higher / advanced higher grades will more than meet the requirement of 120 ucas points (for foundation route).

If it is cruise ships you want to go onto then apply to; Viking Recruitment (see their web site), Carnival UK (P&O and Cunard) and Princess Cruises.

The other companies SSTG / Clyde Marine - do have cruise clients but you are highly unlikely to get on a cruise ship - if thats where you want to work then you're better to apply to companies that solely recruit for cruise ships). No harm applying to other companies as a "backup" though.

The only issue you may have is your age - most cruise lines require cadets to be 18 years old at the time of first going to sea - but again you would have to check with individual companies.

Good luck.
                      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

If you really want to do cruise ships then you should google Carnival (P&O, Cunard, possibly Seabourne)), Viking (Holland America and Windstar), SSTG (TUI), not sure whether you are better contacting each company individually or through the respective agencies / umberella company, but a google search should tell you.

I would strongly advise contacting other companies agencies as well though, if I was doing interviews for cruise ship cadets I would look more favourably at those who had applied to lots of companies because they wanted to work at sea than on those who had only applied to cruise companies because they wanted to work in the cruise industry.

EDIT: hadn't seen Alistair's post, have been in the pub all afternoon and hit reply at the bottom of the previous page, he appears to have said pretty much already said what I thought. Well done young padawan!
                        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
                        X