Average age of cadets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average age of cadets?

Hi, probably a daft question but what age are most people who start a cadetship? I'm applying for engineering but I'm a bit worried that everyone else will be 18/19 and just finished school or college.

Thanks

Depends really. From my experience in my class it varies from a few young ones, 18-20 right up to the grand old age of 27 (which is more my end of the scale!) I wouldn't worry about it to be honest :-)
    The bird is the word

Comment

most company's will say how old they want you to be before applying just check around there websites. At my interview for Carnival UK there was about 7 of us there, I'm 18 and I was the youngest by at least 3-5 years.... but obviously this was only a small selection of people who had interviews with them.

Comment

Average age in my group was around the 23-24 mark...
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I know a boy of sixteen who is starting this year.

Comment

Twelve on my intake and we have people at 42, 29 (me), 27, 24, 23 and then the rest a mx of 18 - 22, although the las intake had a 16 yar old who was eventually named best cadet!

Comment

It depends on the time of the year you start i think. If you start in September you will get more school/college leavers so they will be around 16-18 but also a little bit older, the oldest in my September group was 28. You're more likely to find older aged people in the other starting months.
              my only wish is that i die real.

Comment

no you will be 18 wink wink else you wont be invited down the pub!

Comment

Thanks, good to know I'm not past it yet!

Comment

I have just turned 16 and I'm starting in September

Comment

best of luck then mate!! I take it you are doing the HND route?

Comment

I don't think your age is a barrier. So long as you are competent and willing to learn then you will get on well. The one thing I remember that did cause a problem were officers who had left the sea and then came back for a short period to keep their ticket current. We had a 3/O who had qualified, left the sea to do plumbing, failed, tried selling ice creams and then came back to sea after over 4 years away. (In those days you needed to do 6 months seatime in any 5 year period to keep your ticket current). He had forgotten so much - star sights, rule of the road, navigation and chartwork that the Old Man decided he was not safe until The C/O and myself had done a month of watches with him and brought him up to speed. We did 6's for a month. Really ticked us off that the company had employed this guy.

So stop worrying and start thinking about the extras you bring to the table. Age, experience, maturity.........

Ian
                        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I am also 16, totally agree that age is by no means a barrier, young or old.
                          I am in the sea cadets and have numerous RYA Qualifications in boating, navigation and seamanship. Compared to some of the adults involved in my unit at the cadets (some more than 3 or 4 times my age), I am far more qualified in boating and nav etc.
                          For example I am working during this summer on a tourist charter RIB with 2 x 225 bhp outboards (the one in my pic), every trip out I am required and qualified to take charge of the boat and take it into caves etc. So as long as you are willing to work hard age is but a number !

Comment

Working...
                          X