Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HNC or HND?

Folks,
    Apologies for this but after searching around on the forum I've been unable to clarify the difference between the HNC and HND programme and was hoping someone could help out. Most companies seem to be sending cadets on the full HND course however some (Clyde) now only send their cadets on and HNC route. My limited understanding of this is that the HNC course is inferior to the D and doesn?t provide exemptions in future MCA exams at Chief Mate level. I was hoping that someone here would be able to provide a more accurate answer to this though?

HNC = OOW ticket. HND = OOW ticket with the theory for further tickets covered.

Net result = less time to complete chief mate course.

HNC is level 4 on the NQF. HND and FD are level 5.

While on the same level, FD provides exemptions from completing SQA exams.

This thread should help:

http://www.officercadet.com/archive/...hp/t-4646.html
    Last edited by Faust; 25 March 2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropicana View Post
      Most companies seem to be sending cadets on the full HND course however some (Clyde) now only send their cadets on and HNC route.
      That's news to me, and contrary to the information listed on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by ramfeild66 View Post
        That's news to me, and contrary to the information listed on their website.
        The website was rather misleading (I thought the exact same). Clyde used to send cadets on the HND course, however this is no longer the case. Despite advertising HNC/D they do not sent any cadets on an HND course. I phoned and confirmed this with staff to be certain. I can't understand why they don't sent cadets on the HND course as it appears to take the same amount of college time as the HNC. I can only imagine that it saves money somewhere along the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          HNC = OOW ticket. HND = OOW ticket with the theory for further tickets covered.

Net result = less time to complete chief mate course.

HNC is level 4 on the NQF. HND and FD are level 5.

While on the same level, FD provides exemptions from completing SQA exams.

This thread should help:

http://www.officercadet.com/archive/...hp/t-4646.html
          Thanks very much for the link, I used the search function but could find this! Thanks again.

Comment

No problem, I'm not sure if our search function searches archived threads anyway! Shall check…

Comment

More companies seem to be gravitating towards FD and scrapping their HNC schemes. Now obviously this is an advantage for cadets because you get exemptions and an advantage for colleges because they get more money for the 'degree'. Is it possible we would see a wholesale move by all companies to the FD over the next 5 years or so, or will they keep the HND (and scrap the HNC) for those of us with no A levels?
              "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

I'm a little bit concerned that Clyde aren't offering the HND course for their Cadets as it makes more sense to study to HND level. I also don't want to a) feel an inferior and less educated candidate than the HND/FD guys and girls and b) don't want to have to spend more of my time down the line trying to make up the criteria for the Chief Mate exams later on in my career.

The difference in net cost for CMT can't be THAT magnificent, can they?! I would've have thought they would want everyone on the same level?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideOfTheMoon View Post
                  The difference in net cost for CMT can't be THAT magnificent, can they?!
                  Multiply that cost out by the amount of cadets they train, it becomes a significant amount of monies then.

Originally posted by DarkSideOfTheMoon View Post
                  I would've have thought they would want everyone on the same level?
                  Clyde, as well as many other companies, are interested in getting cadets their first certificate of competency. Unless the Cadet were to then stay in employment with that company, there would be very little, if any, benefit to the shipping company.

Comment

Clyde do put cadets through as FD Engineers and ETO's so i imagine they do for Deck as well. in which case if they are putting you in at a lower level it is becasue a) they have filled all the FD positions b) they dont think you warrant the higher course. Apart from the cost of higher training, theres a limited number of postions for each level, and theres no point placing you in a course that you will fail and leave with nothng. On top of that theres plenty of people who never progress past OOW level before taking a shore job.
                    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

For reference, the HND does take longer than the HNC. If anything, companies seem to be moving to an FD/HNC choice since the HND is effectively as long, as expensive and on the same level as the FD, and "foundation degree" sounds snazzier.

As Faust says, large training organisations are generally concerned with getting you to OOW level, particularly those where there's little chance of a job afterwards and it's all a tonnage tax exercise.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours based upon the offers you get. Everything will get you to OOW level. HND/FD will make life easier when you go for mates, FD marginally more so since you don't need to do SQA exams. (Though you'll still need to put the revision in pre-orals).
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Working...
                      X