What's your story???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your story???

Hello all you aspiring cadets. Whats your story so far?
    -- when did you first know you wanted to go to sea??
    -- how old are you and where are you from??
    -- deck/ engine??
    --what sponsorship company you with??
    -- have you been offered a company??
    -- what college you looking to attend??

Personally
    i think when I was about 12 my step dad was my inspiration
    im 16 from county durham
    Deck
    sstg
    boston Putford (hopefully)
    Hopefully south Tyneside college

My Grandad was my inspiration, I was around 15/16 when I knew it's what I wanted.
    I'm 17 from North Yorkshire.
    ETO.
    Carnival UK.
    South Tyneside College.

Comment

My apologise I forgot about eto's north north Yorkshire? Or further down??

Comment

-- when did you first know you wanted to go to sea?
        From the moment I realised I was never going to play centre forward for Celtic, around 11 years old I think. My dad was a steward on the ferries between Ireland and Scotland, I used to sneak across on the ship for the day when I should have been at school, got down the engine room once and thought "wow, this is amzing, when I am too old to be banging goals in for Celtic every week or if I get injured, this could be a fall back plan"

37 (for another few days anyway) originally from just outside Belfast, live in the Canaries now.

-- deck/ engine??
        Engine

I was a P&O cruises cadet, although that was a few smokos ago. Having completed a cadetship on cruise ships, I can highly recommend cargo ships.

Always looking!

I was a cadet at Glasgow, I did my second's ticket at Warsash and my chief's at Shields. Glasgow was amazing for the football and the nightlife, Shield was amazing for the nightlife and the quality of the teaching, Warsash had nice weather some days.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

I'll let you off haha. up in Whitby, so quite north.

Comment

You live a very good life clanky by the sounds of it, which Ireland Iv been to lanzarote n Tenerife very nice places yet lanzarote was windy :/
            and ooooo Iv had fish n chips from Whitby very nice!! Heard of bishop Auckland??

Comment

I have, I may have played rugby at bishop Auckland actually, can't remember :P

Comment

Well I'll scare Jonny now by telling him I know what you did last summer, not quite, but I was in halls with your brother last year.
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

In the spirit of Clanky, and as my original hello sailor seems to have vanished.

when did you first know you wanted to go to sea?

I wasn't happy in my financial services career and after a lot of job moves trying to find the right job, I decided on a bigger career change involving electronics I'd dabbled with at school. I was 29 soon to turn 30.

how old are you and where are you from??
                  32 from Horsham, West Sussex.

Currently live in Bognor Regis, West Sussex when not at college or sea but looking to live abroad once I qualify

deck/ engine??
                  ETO

what sponsorship company you with??
                  Trinity House

have you been offered a company??
                  Variety of ships depending on who has free berths

what college you looking to attend??
                  at STC
                  Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

When did you first know you wanted to go to sea??
                    The career choice started off as me wanting to join the forces after I left Uni, but was discouraged by too many people that were important to me. So looked for something less dangerous but more interesting than a desk job. This is where the RFA interest was born.

How old are you and where are you from??
                    23 from the Midlands, near Derby. Working as a web designer at the moment, did a stint at Uni studying Mechanical Engineering but DNF. Worked building electric car motors and F1 car parts at one point too.

Deck/ engine??
                    Engine

What sponsorship company you with??
                    RFA

Have you been offered a company??

RFA

What college you looking to attend??
                    Fleetwood
                    I beard, therefore I am.

Comment

I suppose I should probably do this as well....

-- when did you first know you wanted to go to sea??

No idea. Spending pretty much any free time I could doing something involving the sea and water I knew I wanted to work in that field.

Old enough and I'm from a UK port city

-- deck/ engine??

Engineering - I failed the deck cadet entry test by actually having the ability to use my brain!

I was a CMT cadet on Tankers. I'll always recommend that a Cadet start with tankers as it's then much easier to float around to different parts of the industry whereas it's near impossible to get on tankers without some experience.

I've always got an eye out, but I'm fairly happy where I am at present.

None of them...
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

CHRIS---- tom's a **** he shouldn't gossip about me!
                        GM---- is it easy to get jobs in other parts of the industry after working on supply/stand-by ships??

Comment

Originally posted by jonnylambert View Post
                          CHRIS---- tom's a **** he shouldn't gossip about me!
                          GM---- is it easy to get jobs in other parts of the industry after working on supply/stand-by ships??
                          It's not impossible, but I would always say get on wet cargo ships first. That way, you have the choice in where to go once you finish your course.
                          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

About 13/14, I was a Sea Cadet and my family were all at it as well, so it just seemed like a natural progression

21, almost 22, doing a bit of light soldiering at the moment but hoping to get out and start my new career. I'm originally from Lincolnshire.

Deck/ engine??

Deck

None, but I have a few interviews lined up.

Negatori ghostrider

Warsash.
                            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

All my life really, come from a long line of offshore workers

17, From a small town in South Tyneside currently finishing my training with a engineering training provider which should be finished around May/June-time

Deck/ engine??

Engine

CMT

Not yet!

South tyneside college, Live about 5-10 minutes away from it

Comment

Working...
                              X