Class and Year Sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class and Year Sizes?

Hey was wondering how big the intakes are at the various colleges. FD/HND deckie and engineering?

Thanks

Re: Class and Year Sizes?

Around 45 people joined on my HND course, we're down to around 38 now

To boldly go.....
    Forum Administrator
    OfficerCadet.com

Comment

I think I mentioned it on the PM FB, but on our FD Deckie course at shields we started with 29 and we're down to 14 now.

The pace on the FD hs to be quite fact to get the whole syllabus (Inc the Chief Mate stuff) in within the 14 months or so that there are at college. That is what has killed off our group the most. Mind, 5 of those who left us, simply dropped down onto the HND course, and are mostly making a go of it there.

Comment

that does not sound good then is there less shop with the FD
        Maybe I will never be
        All the things that I want to be
        But now is not the time to cry
        Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Less shop?

Comment

less hands on work. more time in the classroom then in the workshop
            Maybe I will never be
            All the things that I want to be
            But now is not the time to cry
            Now's the time to find out why

Comment

I think the official drop out figure is somewhere around the 70% mark

To boldly go.....
              Forum Administrator
              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist
                Wow that's a high drop out rate! No wonder some of the industry news is on about a massive shortage of officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_S
                  Originally posted by Randomist
                  Wow that's a high drop out rate! No wonder some of the industry news is on about a massive shortage of officers.
                  There is indeed a massive shortage of Officers, unfortunately that does not also equate to their being a massive shortage of British Officers.

Comment

Surely when all the cadets finish this year there'll be a surplus of officers in this certain cruise line?
                    sigpic
                    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

In that case, why doesn't ananoymous cruise line take on more cadets to take "wastage" into account?
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                        In that case, why doesn't ananoymous cruise line take on more cadets to take "wastage" into account?
                        Or even better - raise the wages and increase the levels of leave so that they are comparable to the cargo outfits!

Comment

This they could do. Pay increases are always good

To boldly go.....
                          Forum Administrator
                          OfficerCadet.com

Comment

The questoin is why do 70% of cadets drop out.

If it's becuase the job or life at sea are so bad then maybe things should be changed. It's not really a nice thought that the industry I'm about to start in is one where there more people drop out than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_S
                              The questoin is why do 70% of cadets drop out.

If it's becuase the job or life at sea are so bad then maybe things should be changed. It's not really a nice thought that the industry I'm about to start in is one where there more people drop out than not.
                              I'll have a stab at this one; too many folk end up having a go at this game simply because it offers money in the pocket while training rather than the broo/college/tilljockey/phonejockey, as opposed to having a genuine interest in the industry. I get the impression that this situation is exacerbated by the fact you can become a cadet at 16; I would posit that a lot(not all!) of 16 year olds struggle when deciding what career they are suited for. I know I had no real idea what I wanted to do at 16, and hindsight tells me I would not have enjoyed entering at that age(I was 30 when I signed with Clyde, albiet a graduate). I wonder whether raising the minimum age to 18 would help convince potential entrants that it is a worthwhile alternative to going to a polyversity to do sustainable golfcourse film management studies, rack up ?20k of debt and get a degree of questionable value at the end of it and no job prospects. Superficially it's possible to look at it and say, 'don't fancy that, it's for 16yrold knuckledraggers who left school with poor GCSEs'. I also think most school leavers receive pisspoor or no careers advice; I certainly didn't; I only found out about the training scheme I left school for because my dad knew the guy running it.

Raising the average age of entrants might aid retention, do the MNTB publish any kind of stats on the subject?
                              '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                              just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                              down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                              new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Working...
                              X