RFA Admiralty Interview Board (AIB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFA Admiralty Interview Board (AIB)

Basically, I have my AIB with the RFA reaaalllly soon! And I am pooping myself somewhat. The RFA is where I really want to be. I know I have the right stuff, after all, I passed the RT and the sift interview. But still, I would appreciate any tips from anyone who has been through it already. (an area of particular fuzziness to myself is the service knowledge test and its contents). Thanks Guys!
    Last edited by The H; 1 April 2012, 01:00 PM. Reason: Amend Title

Sorry for copying and pasting this from my last RFA AID thread response :P

Service knowledge is really tested, albeit only 1 part of the process if you can afford to spend the time learning about all 3 branches, RFA, Navy and marines it would be really helpful. Have a really good chat with the RN guys there as they might know more about the Navy than you have brushed up on and can help you to get a few final facts in your head before the test, likewise you can help tell them about RFA details.

The maths questions in the planning exercise will really be fired quick and fast at you, so practice, practice, practice with these speed/distance/time stuff. In the planning exercises keep track of what time everything is happening as it can get confusing.

PLTs are great fun just remember to be heard when you need to be. Don't worry about falling in the water either, I did and managed to soak one of the officers on my board but still made it through (just).

Practice the Bleep test just so you know what is coming, its tough but not pass/fail.

Re-read the form you sent before SIFT interview where you detailed times in your life when you were...(leader of a group for example) they will ask you these again in the 30 minute interview.

Essays are not the be all and end all, mine was terrible and I was told as much by the RFA officer there. Although he said they had given lenience due to me going for engineer and having left school a while back. The psychometric tests were ok for me but don't worry if you don't finish them...I'm sure the maths one isn't possible to complete all questions - just skip, move on and come back at the end if you have time.

That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure someone will let you know if there are any vitals I missed.

I had my AIB in December and am starting BRNC in May. There are a couple of others around who might be able to give you some pointers too.

Anything else you need to know just ask and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
    I beard, therefore I am.

Comment

Hey cptgiggles! I am in the same position as Giren and can only echo his sentiments. AIB was challenging but really fun and you will have a great time, so try not to be too worried.

The service knowledge test is very specific and incredibly in depth I don't what to give any of the questions away but to be confident revise everything you can about all three services in as much detail as possible. I really can’t stress about the detail learn EVERYTHING. You will be sitting exactly the same test as potential RN and RM officers which will show you how important broad knowledge is. I collated all the information I found into a revision file (it was about 8 inches thick) and all that information is available from the internet especially the Royal Navy Website.

You can’t really prepare too much for some things but the service knowledge test is so smash that and go n confident and it will be one less thing to worry about, and as Giren said again download the bleep test and measure 20 meters and do that until you know you can pass it and on the day you will fly through it. The rest is just about listening on the day, do what they say and if you have what it takes they will spot the potential. Get involved in everything going on, go to the pub with people on the first night, spend your time in the rec room and take advantage of a great opportunity.

Well done for getting so far and good luck at AIB!

Comment

Also to any RFA's or potential ones (or just anyone that likes big grey ships) HMS Dragon the lovely new Type 45 is along side in Cardiff this weekend and its open to the public 10 - 5 on Sunday. It would be great for you CptGiggles to see what one is like as not many at AIB will have, and I am going to go to see what I will be working along side in the future.

Comment

Oh I forgot about that! I'm tempted to go down, was great to get a look on Liverpool before she left London. Will have to see if I can scrounge the funds for a train ticket
          I beard, therefore I am.

Comment

Well let me know if you do as I will be there! Am going to make a day of it.

Comment

Will do bud, might stay the night before as can't find any suitable trains on Sunday morning, might drive if parking is not too pricey.
              I beard, therefore I am.

Comment

Thanks guys that really helps Unfortunately cardiff is a bit of a trek where I am.... Luckily I had the chance to visit HMS Cattistock on saturday as my town (poole) is her associated town and she was visiting. I talked to some of the junior RN officers on board and they had nothing but good things to say about the RFAs and the AIB Looking forward to it

Comment

Let us know how it goes anyway Best of luck.
                  I beard, therefore I am.

Comment

A warning - open to visitors on a warship usually means a tour of the upper deck, no internal spaces. You might want to check in advance what you get to see on Dragon before travelling too far to have a look.

Comment

My AIB is in April. Oh and how much emphasis is there on the bleep test as I have had stuff sent to me saying 9.10.
                      "The man who goes to sea is a man in despair.";- Marco Polo

Comment

I dropped out just before 7 and made it through with strong advice to get fitter. So it matters, but not the be all and end all I think. As long as you are strong in your other areas and show motivation then that's the best you can do.
                        I beard, therefore I am.

Comment

I am 28 so had to get 9.6 any younger and its 9.10 as Giren sense ist not a pass fail but ts a good indicator of how prepared you are and your determination. I was flagging and I had to push it really hard to hit my level which I did then nearly died but good a good pat on the back from the PTI's for pushing myself.

In regards to HMS Dragon I think it is just a deck tour thats what my Dad seemed to get from asking around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganner View Post
                            I am 28 so had to get 9.6 any younger and its 9.10 as Giren sense ist not a pass fail but ts a good indicator of how prepared you are and your determination. I was flagging and I had to push it really hard to hit my level which I did then nearly died but good a good pat on the back from the PTI's for pushing myself.
                            I would concur with this; when I attended an AIB many years ago, the beep test was definitely a best effort job. I was a bit of a fat knacker(although skinnier than I am now) and despite preparing by getting in a few 2 mile runs weekly in the 2 months prior, I found myself struggling with it as beep test running is rather more intensive than just plugging along against a stopwatch. Having said that I got a 'attaboy' from the evil legging-clad PTI as I was breathing out my arse by the end; if they perceive you aren't giving 100% they will mark you down even if you are a racing snake, no hitting the minimum and slopeing off early. If you aren't approaching the point of hurling you haven't tried hard enough!
                            '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                            just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                            down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                            new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Hi guys!!! Had my AIB last week, Failed my bleep :'( (got 7.6) but as that was all was holding me back from a pass, they've decided to send me a provisional offer this week! So long as I do some beasty training this summer (and get my grades of course) Advice for anyone else going :- Go to the Pub on the first night! And know your navy knowledge!

Comment

Working...
                              X