tattoos!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tattoos!?!?

i am looking into working at sea in the future.

can you join the merchant navy or any other comapany with tattoos?

i have tattoos all over my arms and also swallows on my hands (my hands, im thinking are going to be the biggest problem)

if you can which companies allow this.

cheers!

As far as I am aware none of the passenger ship companies will take you on with tattoos which are visible in a short sleeved shirt, they may make exceptions for a small bit of a tat which shows, but by the sounds of things they would be unlikely to take you on. Shouldn't be a problem officially for most cargo ship companies, but it may depend on the views of whoever interviews you.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

I have a tattoo on my calf, I'm hoping it doesn't stop me getting a job with a cruise company which i am hoping to apply for in the coming months. I guess i can wear trousers most of the time or long white socks
      my only wish is that i die real.

Comment

All the Carnival brands have banished shorts so calf tattoo shouldn't be a problem at all. I know of a guy working for Princess with heavy upper arm and leg tattooing.
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

The RFA officially do not discriminate againts tattoos on any part of the body even hands and neck. I have been taken on and I have a lot of them but they are all well coverupable (new word patent pending) so dont rule them out as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganner View Post
            The RFA officially do not discriminate againts tattoos on any part of the body even hands and neck. I have been taken on and I have a lot of them but they are all well coverupable (new word patent pending) so dont rule them out as an option.
            Ganner, any idea what the RFA official line is on piercings? Most of mine are ears, which I can take out if required, but I also have stretched ear lobes (nothing huge, only small holes!). I know I can't have these for the Navy, but wasn't sure if RFA was different? Please don't get me wrong, more than happy to close them up, but equally it'd be lovely to keep them too if possible :-)

Comment

Originally posted by squidlington View Post
              I know I can't have these for the Navy, but wasn't sure if RFA was different?
              RFA regulations are probably more lenient, but I'd check with your local AFCO (Armed Forces Career Office, they'll almost definitely handle RFA applications) for the latest requirements.

Comment

Squidlington I have three lip rings and an old healed up 20 mil tunnel which still shows a small hole at the moment and I passed AIB fine, I take them all out when I interview etc and will take them out 100% of the time in an offical capacity but back in when at home on leave etc. So take them out for all contact and expect to have them out when with them and its not a definite bar to entry.

Dan the AFCO's in my experience know little or nothing about the RFA at all (my gf went in to an AFCO to get me a getting fit for BRNC brochure and the Royal Navy guy on the desk literally hadn't heard of the RFA lol) so if you have a specific question for them ring their recruitment line and they will be able to help or get back to you.
                Last edited by Ganner; 8 March 2012, 03:40 PM. Reason: Spelling! Please don't point out any mistakes I missed

Comment

Originally posted by Ganner View Post
                  I take them all out when I interview etc and will take them out 100% of the time in an offical capacity but back in when at home on leave etc.
                  This is about right. Keep them out during working hours and when in uniform. I've occasionally had to do a double-take at officers in their cabins or heading ashore - never realised they had piercings until I saw the jewellery in place.

Comment

Working...
                  X