Am I mad !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I mad !!!

Hi everybody. I`ve been reading the forums the last few months and it`s been a great source of information.

Basically I`m 25 years old from Ireland and have a very good Science degree. Unfortunately I finished college a few years ago and there was no work for graduates here. No prospects here either. I`ve worked at sea the last 12 years part-time in the aquaculture industury, inshore fishing, etc. Not a bit afraid of hard work. I love the sea and I am happiest when working there. Only started reading about Merchant Navy the last few months.Ive done a LOT LOT of research the last few months and the way of life/work in the merchant navy definitely appeals to me.

My dilemma I`m dealing with is whether I should commit to the 3 years training, and a life at sea. While a lot of the comments on this site are mostly positive regarding the industury long term, I`ve been in contact with a family friend in the merchant navy who didnt seem as positive. However I`ll be meeting him next month and hell have a lot more information for me.

The Irish application process is much different to the UK application but Ive that already done.

At the moment I think Oil tankers/ LNG/ Offshore are the industries I`m most interested in. Cruise ships dont appeal to me.

So my question is is there a good future for Irish/European officers in Oil Tankers/LNG/Offshore.

While my age 25 is not an issue for me, I`ve only gotten sense the last year or so, I dont want to be walking out of another degree at 29 and find theres no work there for me, especially as I`ve unreal contacts in Perth who can get me into the mines and be on BIG bucks literally in the morning. Cant go till around september for family reasons...

So what are yer opinions on the future for European officers in the Merchant Navy

Thanks.

Hi Coulagh, a few things spring to mind....

1. It is always hard to tell from a single forum post, but my instinct would be that you would be suited to the job and that it would be suited to you.

2. As for commiting to the 3 years training, if you can afford it financially then the benefits are worth it.#

3. As an Irish national you ought to be able to apply for a cadetship with UK companies as well, might give you a few more options.

4. Can you send me the details of the jobs in the mines in Oz for the big bucks?
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Just a quick one, will try to reply fully later. As an Irish national in the UK system, I needed to be resident in the UK for at least a year before starting my cadetship.

You may want to check out funding as I believe the first year at Cork is self-funded. If you've already got an undergraduate degree then free fees doesn't apply any more. I think!
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

3: In the Irish system companies such as BP, Shell, Carnival etc come half way through the first year in College to conduct interviews.

4: Like everything in this world, getting jobs in the mines is all about who you know, not what you know.

What type of a ship are you an Engineer on Clanky?

Comment

Your dead right. I looked into attending Warsash, Glasgow etc but as you said, I had to be resident in UK for a year.

Yes I`ll be hit with Fees and Registration probably around 10,000 euro + living expenses etc etc. The way I look at it though is, if this is a long term career for me It`ll be a small investment as it seems the potential earnings/lifestyle are quite attractive and appealing.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

In answer to the title question...

Probably, but that just means you'll fit right in

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by coulagh View Post
              What type of a ship are you an Engineer on Clanky?
              Sailing as chief on a cruise ship at the moment, have done dredgers, container and ro-ro / ro-pax in the past
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                In answer to the title question...

Probably, but that just means you'll fit right in
                ^^^ This!
                sigpic
                Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Working...
                X