Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YoungMariner
    replied
    The reality is that a British Seaman’s Card is obsolete. I have one and have never used it in 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• dawg
    replied
    Just bumping this old one because it didn't seem to be completely answered...

If you've already got a Discharge Book, can you get a British Seaman's Card too?

It says on the form on page 5 (in typically ambiguous fashion) "5. (d) If you hold a valid seaman's identity document issued by the Government..." it seems like they are for slightly different purposes:

A Discharge Book is a continuous record of a seafarer's service and is not a proof of identity. It is a requirement that seafarers working on UK flagged ships or large yachts have a UK Discharge Book or one that is issued by one of the Governments listed in MSF 4509.

A British Seaman's Card (BSC) is an internationally accepted document which allows a British seafarer to land at foreign ports without needing a visa. An applicant for a BSC must be a British citizen.
    source: https://www.ukshipregister.co.uk/sea...-seamans-card/

Maybe I've answered my own question... but I think that's a better answer than "the admin staff will sort it out for you".

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied
    Re: Discharge Book and Seamans Card

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
    I need to get my passport renewed soon, it expires in August. I have one of the large ones since I used to fly, do you think I could get away with a normal one for renewal (less money!) since I imagine they don;t go through all of them to stamp them...
    I would suggest getting the larger one - you'd be surprised how many countries insist in stamping passports when the ship visits there. Also if you fly through non european countries there immigration will also stamp it. From my last trip I used up 5 pages with stamps from countries where I didn't even get off the ship!

And yes.. immigration do go through all of them - assuming they can be bothered

Leave a comment:

• Randomist
    replied

The Cadet Administrator will sort your documentation out before you go to sea. You should recieve them at college

Leave a comment:

• Lockhart
    replied

Hey, now that paperwork's all been completed, anyone know when I should expect to recieve my book and card? I'm starting at Warsash this September with Clyde, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

Hi James,

Thanks for that. Yes, been offered the cadetship with Carnival after much nail-biting, and thanks for your advice and information over on the Deck Officer forum. I've had a flick through your pics on Facebook and you seem to be having a great time, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

I need to get my passport renewed soon, it expires in August. I have one of the large ones since I used to fly, do you think I could get away with a normal one for renewal (less money!) since I imagine they don;t go through all of them to stamp them...

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied

It depends largely on where exactly you go. I see you've been successful with Carnival UK, so you'll more than likely be on P&O Cruises (UK or Australia) ships. I've only served on P&O Cruises UK vessels, but I imagine the same principles apply for the Australian brand too. For most normal cruises when the ship arrives alongside, immigration officials in the local port board the vessel and meet with hotel managers to obtain what is called "clearance" allowing pax/crew off the ship - nobody is allowed off until this is done. If you are lucky to be on a world cruise then certain places require every single person to have a face to face inspection with local immigration officials - though this is not the norm!

Apart from the US Visa, you shouldn't require another one for the vast majority of cruises - you will need to get this before going to sea, so I recommend trying to get it in October/November this year as it's a long process!! However you'll no doubt be advised of details nearer the time.

There are some other visa exemptions for certain countries, though if you need one of these you'll be told in your ship joining instructions which are normally issued to you by the company a few weeks before joining. I was very lucky on my first trip to do a world cruise and had to join in Sydney so a maritime visa was required for that - however as I say all details for getting one in good time were provided in the joining instructions so don't worry about that.

Hope that's useful.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

What do Carnival ships do immigration-wise? Are crew processed the same way as the passengers for going ashore? Are there visa exemptions for seafarers (apart from the US of course)?

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied

Hi Chris,

As far as I am aware, no you do not need a British Seaman's Card (certainly I have never required one or been told it's needed). The only one you must have is the MCA Seaman's Discharge Book which will be a record of all your sea service.

James

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    started a topic Discharge Book and Seamans Card

Discharge Book and Seamans Card

Just out of curiosity....

The MCA have cofirmed that I can, of course, have a discharge book but not a seaman's card sice I'm an Irish citizen. For those of you sponsored by Carnival - do they expect you to get the card or is it optional? If one is required I'll have to see if I can get one from the Irish marine people...
Working...
X