Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OOCL at Fleetwood

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OOCL at Fleetwood

    Hi guys, I have been offered a place with OOCL but I'm told that I will definitely be sent to Fleetwood. Just wondering how much accommodation is?

    I have been told the sponsorship package, just worried that after deducting accommodation costs, it doesn't seem like I have much left over. Also, is Fleetwood a good college in terms of education, and what can I expect from OOCL?

    Thanks

  • #2
    OOCL sponsors you through SSTG and they pay accommodation so don't worry about it.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

    All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, Steve said they would pay my tuition fees and I would get X amount per month, but accommodation will be my own responsibility to arrange and pay for...so just wondering how much I would have to deduct. Also, do I have to pay for my own uniform, books etc?

      Comment


      • #4
        I am being sponsored through SSTG to train for Thomson Cruises, I too have been told I will receive my tuition paid for and a monthly salary, but no information about living costs and food/books/uniform...

        Comment


        • #5
          I had just assumed accommodation would be included because it always has been with SSTG so I didn't really ask about it.

          Though he did say sponsorship packages may be changing due to issues with funding etc. but after deducting living costs from the monthly salary that was stated, I won't be left with very much..

          Comment


          • #6
            when i had my interview with steve he told me that the sponsorship included everything, including living costs, food, and the tuition. but, i had hitherto heard nothing of funding cuts, and since then i expect it will have changed...i was at the Maersk interview this week and they told us that we *may* be required to contribute up to ?12000 for the tuition costs due to said cuts, and i expect, although the tuition is paid for, we may have to pay for living costs. All i can say is, I'm trying not to worry about it, because even if i have little money during my training, its not like i'll have much to spend it on as it is, and if i get a career at the end of my training which gives me a tax-free ?27,000 a year, who is complaining?

            Comment


            • #7
              Yup it's still good at the end of the day, but I still have things to pay for so may need to get a student loan or something if accommodation is not covered.

              How did you find the Maersk interview anyway? Have mine in a few weeks, still uncertain who to go for.

              Comment


              • #8
                Fleetwood accommodation is ?110 per week and they like you to be paid up in advance, so its a good idea to have the first four weeks halls money ready when you arrive here.
                Hope this helps

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bandicoot View Post
                  when i had my interview with steve he told me that the sponsorship included everything, including living costs, food, and the tuition. but, i had hitherto heard nothing of funding cuts, and since then i expect it will have changed...i was at the Maersk interview this week and they told us that we *may* be required to contribute up to ?12000 for the tuition costs due to said cuts, and i expect, although the tuition is paid for, we may have to pay for living costs. All i can say is, I'm trying not to worry about it, because even if i have little money during my training, its not like i'll have much to spend it on as it is, and if i get a career at the end of my training which gives me a tax-free ?27,000 a year, who is complaining?

                  Bandicoot I've got an interview coming up with Maersk myself. I believe they currently pay all tution fee costs but obviously this is something they are looking at from what you were told. Did they expand any on this ?12,000 figure???

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tropicana View Post
                    Bandicoot I've got an interview coming up with Maersk myself. I believe they currently pay all tution fee costs but obviously this is something they are looking at from what you were told. Did they expand any on this ?12,000 figure???
                    also @ reusch, I The interview consisted of us going into a conference room for a video presentation about the company and a problem-solving exercise (the reasoning tests which are intended to confuse you) but Graham said don't worry if you screw it up too bad, and the interview was the basic questions about, why you want to join, what makes you special, where do you see yourself in ten years, etc.

                    @Tropicana, they were very ambiguous about the whole funding things. I read on this website that SMarT funding is going to be left alone but its been cut in other areas, but we were told that the cadet may be expected to pay up to ?4000 a year during the training, however they didn't specify if the cadet was meant to pay all of that or if Maersk was going to spend some extra to meet the demands. Like I said, its all very sketchy at the moment so you're best off asking them when you're there...always a good idea to have some questions to ask at the end of your interview!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by reusch View Post
                      I had just assumed accommodation would be included because it always has been with SSTG so I didn't really ask about it.

                      Though he did say sponsorship packages may be changing due to issues with funding etc. but after deducting living costs from the monthly salary that was stated, I won't be left with very much..
                      I met with my SSTG training officer at Fleetwood a week or so ago and it would seem that SSTG are not going to be paying accommodation fees for future cadets. I do expect that they will increase the training allowance slightly, as you would essentially be out of pocket for the first year otherwise.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by danielbv07 View Post
                        I met with my SSTG training officer at Fleetwood a week or so ago and it would seem that SSTG are not going to be paying accommodation fees for future cadets. I do expect that they will increase the training allowance slightly, as you would essentially be out of pocket for the first year otherwise.
                        Thanks for confirming that. Did your training officer mention why they've changed? I guess the allowance has increased after talking to current cadets, but after paying for accommodation we really aren't left with very much. I don't mind, just means I will have to take out a student loan or something.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by reusch View Post
                          Thanks for confirming that. Did your training officer mention why they've changed? I guess the allowance has increased after talking to current cadets, but after paying for accommodation we really aren't left with very much. I don't mind, just means I will have to take out a student loan or something.
                          Not a problem. She did say it had something to do with funding arrangements, no specifics though. I wouldn't worry too much mind, I suspect you will still be quite well remunerated in comparison to other cadets.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by danielbv07 View Post
                            I met with my SSTG training officer at Fleetwood a week or so ago and it would seem that SSTG are not going to be paying accommodation fees for future cadets. I do expect that they will increase the training allowance slightly, as you would essentially be out of pocket for the first year otherwise.
                            Do you mean they won't pay accommodation for those starting this year or is it something that's going to happen starting next year?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Andy_S View Post
                              Do you mean they won't pay accommodation for those starting this year or is it something that's going to happen starting next year?
                              It seems to be this year, as I'll be starting in September!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X