No announcement yet.

SSTG ETO interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah you really dont 'need' a car at college although they are handy. There is a reasonable demand for the course (given that its only run in one college ) but then if you have a decent interest in teh area, and interview well it shouldnt be a problem.

The tie in in a contract can be both a good thing and a bad thing so dont get too focused on whats going to happen in 3 years time
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Yeah I suppose I shouldn't look too far ahead, but future employment is always a nice thought! What kind of academical qualifications did you have when you were applying?

Comment

Originally posted by MitchE94 View Post
        well, I would like to work on a cruise ship (not just because it is a cruise ship) but because they seem to have a broader range of things for ETO's to maintain. But I have looked in the website and there only seems to be Saga, which doesn't leave me much chance of getting on a cruise ship.
        I don't know why but I am also interested in getting on container ships, as I say I don't know why, they just appeal to me more than tankers, so this leaves my options a bit more open with companies such as evergreen.
        But really, as long as I get to sea and successfully complete my cadetship, it isnt overly important to me what kind of ship I am on, once I am qualified, I'll have to opportunity to change!
        I can understand why, as an ETO, you would like to work on cruise ships - but as you seem to have already gathered with SSTG saga would be the only option there. The company I work for are an offshore company and the first ship I was on had diesel electric engines and azipod propulsion - so its fair to say our ETO was one very busy man!! By the sounds of it you have a good academic base which will definitely improve your chances with the likes of carnival etc. All the best!

Comment

Thank you! I'm gonna get in touch with Carnival tomorrow and ask them if they received my application, when they start arranging interviews etc. But as I mentioned earlier, as long as I get to sea and successfully qualify then it really doesn't matter too much to me what kind of ship I go on, as long as there is plenty for me to learn on board!

Comment

Just to add some information, 3 of the SSTG cadets in my ETO class were on Princess cruise ships for their first sea phase and they think for the upcoming second sea phase.

Princess now recruit ETO cadets but weren't publicly doing so for the Sept 2010 intake (my intake).

In summary, Princess may still offer sea time to SSTG ETO cadets.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

thanks chris, i emailed princess cruises a few days ago actually because it does not give an option on their application form for ETO's, still no reply from them as yet. who are you on with?

Comment

no problem MitchE94, I'm with Trinity House. I applied to Clyde, Viking, Carnival in that order and never got round to SSTG but I probably should have.

Some general info: On the Princess website they say they recruit for ETO

http://www.princess.com/employment/i....jsp#technical
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

are trinity house good? I noticed the ETO stuff on there website a while back and emailed them for a form, when they sent it, it only said deck or engine! I've emailed them again but no reply yet. guess I'll just have to wait and see what the future brings.

Comment

Dont let the lack of responses put you off. Thats par for course with most of the companies because they are so busy. Also, Chiltern recruit for Trinity House aswell as Viking, well they are all manged by the same office including my sponsors the Maritime Education Foundation (MEF). I applied for Trinity House and got MEF but im still managed by CHiltern. Most app forms dont have ETO on, i dont really think there is a reason other than those companies that do recruit for them havent updated forms. Just put ETO on the form and scrub the others out, thats what I did.

Chiltern are also exceptionally busy at the mo as they've been chasing us cadets down for updated documentation (ie certificates, medicals, immunisation jabs etc..) because they are having an Audit so they are busier than normal so keep trying.
                    I wanted to put something profound here...... But then I took an arrow to the knee.

Comment

thanks, I'll try that with the Princess application then and see what kind of feedback I get! I guess I'm just underestimating how busy the companies will be by expecting them to reply to me straight away :P maybe things will start picking up a bit after this weekend, due to it being the last college open day this Saturday just gone (fleetwood).

Comment

Trinity House - I'm biased but I think they are good. They were recruiting ETOs at the recent open day at STC, so just assume its an old form.

My history: When I was applying I couldn't decide between offshore Clyde (Farstad, Solstad, Subsea 7) or cruise ships: Viking (HAL, Fred Olsen, Saga, others) and Carnival (P&O, Cunard) so I applied to all three. For some reason I didn't think of SSTG although they have sponsors for both, though in fairness to myself I hadn't found the forum back then.

@Electrolytic_coffee: They've not asked for any of my forms, I'm feeling a little ignored by Chiltern now.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post

@Electrolytic_coffee: They've not asked for any of my forms, I'm feeling a little ignored by Chiltern now.
                          Really, cause that was a big feature in our meeting we had with them. Clearly your paperwork is up to date then!

@Mitch, yeah it was something I learned about too because they are so busy I never got replies to some when i applied, I had to phone and ask in a lot of cases. My GF who is a cadet with carnival started her cadetship the year before I started mine, she said how bad it was with getting an answer etc.. and I should have taken it under advisement fromt he start, eventually I did and well got to where I am now!

Ah well keep trying, I would just say dont rest with just SSTG try all of em, the worst they can say is no, and if they do you can ask why and improve upon it for next time then, feedback even if it is bad is ultimatley good.
                          I wanted to put something profound here...... But then I took an arrow to the knee.

Comment

Hi guys, been on the phone to Viking recruitment tonight and arranged an interview with them. I think the woman on the phone said it would be for Holland America. Does anyone have any opinions on this company? good or bad?

Comment

Originally posted by MitchE94 View Post
                              Hi guys, been on the phone to Viking recruitment tonight and arranged an interview with them. I think the woman on the phone said it would be for Holland America. Does anyone have any opinions on this company? good or bad?
                              Im sure chris will oblige you, he went on a HAL ship. HAL now recruit their own ETO cadets so you may end up with a similar deal to the carnival guys where you are contracted to work for so long after you complete. Well done!

Comment

Thanks I'll send Chris a message, I was just having a quick browse through their website and there is no mention of ETO's.. strange. I've managed to get it on the same day as my SSTG interview, so its gonna be a busy day for me! SSTG interview in Rochester, then straight across to Southampton for Viking, then all the way back up to Whitby afterwards (North Yorkshire)! I'm kinda hoping that carnival get in touch soon if they want to offer me an interview, then I can try and get them all done when I'm down there in a couple of weeks, would make life so much easier! but all I can do is wait

Comment

Working...
                                X