Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Mate

Hello,

I'm probably looking too far ahead here but ...

I've been thinking once I've finished college and I'm qualified, If my sponsoring company do not offer me a job at the end of my training. What is it like trying to get a Third Mates job without any experience?

Has anyone on here had to look for a Third Mates job before without any experience? Is there many jobs available?

Thanks.

Everyone at some point has had to look for a job when they have no experience. Apparently the 12 months sea time you get as a cadet counts for very little once you're qualified I have been seriously looking for about 2 weeks, my company weren't able to give me a job, so I've been a lady of leisure for about 1 months (and loving it!) However my feet are itching to feel a moving decj beneath them once more and I have applied myself. Sent off quite a few online applications to offshore companies who are advertising for 2nds and 3rds, but heard nothing back. My breakthrough came when I called my sponsor to ask about something and I got a name and phone number to call and now I have an interview tomorrow! My cadetship was mostly spent on cruise ships so that's my best bet, not as a 3rd but as a 4th to start with, but it's the first step on the ladder and that's all that matters!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Aye, once you've got a foot in the door some place and a little experience, you're away!
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Apologizes for terrible spelling, I'm thumb typing on my phone and keep hitting wrong keys

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I found myself in the situation where the company I did my cadet ship with was taken over and with that went our option of being employed on qualifying....

I like s4 got the details for some recruiters from the captains I had sailed with and just emailed them my CV...one got back fairly quickly and said they might have something... And a month later I was joining a 5* expedition cruise ship in Istanbul as a 3rd mate... Wasn't sure to start with as it was a small ship (12000) but turned out it was the best ship I've had - got to see some great places did 3 contacts with them going all over world and kind of wished I had stayed rather than moving onto current company - grass is not always greener and all that!

The main problem you have is there's so many newly qualified people finishing at same time (and not just UK cadets).... It helps if you have experience on the type as a cadet but it's not major - specially with the companies that take you on as 4ths cause you'll not be a solo watch keeper.

You might have to take something your not sure about... But as GM said it gets you the experience and you never know you might actually find you like it.

My advice, keep in touch with the officers onboard, join LinkedIn and add them if there also on it.
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it seems like soon as you have a little experience you are sorted ...

I had my interview on Thursday, which I passed and have accepted (Starting on the 13th Feb at South Tyneside). I asked them this same question about that first Third mates job. Apparently with PaccShip if you do well in your Cadetship they will offer you a job at the end. However, the job is for fourth mate and I think the pay is fairly poor as they pay the same as there Asain officers.

The Captain who I had the interview with said once you do a 3 month trip with them you will be promoted to third mate. So even if I did just do that 3 month stint in the future that will probably give me the experience needed to get a third mates job elsewhere ...

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
              I found myself in the situation where the company I did my cadet ship with was taken over and with that went our option of being employed on qualifying....

I like s4 got the details for some recruiters from the captains I had sailed with and just emailed them my CV...one got back fairly quickly and said they might have something... And a month later I was joining a 5* expedition cruise ship in Istanbul as a 3rd mate... Wasn't sure to start with as it was a small ship (12000) but turned out it was the best ship I've had - got to see some great places did 3 contacts with them going all over world and kind of wished I had stayed rather than moving onto current company - grass is not always greener and all that!

The main problem you have is there's so many newly qualified people finishing at same time (and not just UK cadets).... It helps if you have experience on the type as a cadet but it's not major - specially with the companies that take you on as 4ths cause you'll not be a solo watch keeper.

You might have to take something your not sure about... But as GM said it gets you the experience and you never know you might actually find you like it.

My advice, keep in touch with the officers onboard, join LinkedIn and add them if there also on it.
              I bet you were over the moon with that first Third mates job!

Comment

Working...
              X