Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between HNC and HND for deck cadets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between HNC and HND for deck cadets?

I know that this question has probably been debated and answered a million times on here but I am confused still. What is the difference in terms of employment regarding these courses? I understand that both lead to the CoC certificate, however the HND is more advanced? What, if anything, would a HNC candidate need to top up to employment level of 3rd officer after completing the three years cadetship?
    Any clarification would be much appriciated :-)

If I am informed correctly, it was a case of funding which brought around the change from HNC to HND. And I believe it was an attempt to attract people that they started offering the FD in England. As far as I am aware, at sea, it makes no difference. What you are after is the CoC, and what the shipping companies are after is the CoC. If you have a CoC OOW, then you are qualified to work as an operational level officer (4th, 3rd, 2nd). As for shore based jobs, well I haven't looked into it, perhaps someone else can comment.
    Linkedin

Comment

Simply put, HNC = OOW ticket. HND = OOW ticket with the theory for further tickets covered. Net result = less time to complete chief mate course.

HNC is level 4 on the NQF. HND and FD are level 5.

While on the same level, FD provides exemptions from completing SQA exams.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
        Simply put, HNC = OOW ticket. HND = OOW ticket with the theory for further tickets covered. Net result = less time to complete chief mate course.

HNC is level 4 on the NQF. HND and FD are level 5.

While on the same level, FD provides exemptions from completing SQA exams.
        For deck yes, for Engineering no.

HNC - EOOW with exemptions, HND - EOOW with exemptions...
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Cheers guys, much appriciated :-)

Comment

Net result = less time to complete chief mate course.
            Not quite true, you have to stay for 3 extra months after finishing your orals to complete the HND, which gives you the exemption. So swings and roundabouts.
            Linkedin

Comment

Yep, forgot to put the engineery caveat in there.

By less time, I mean less time out of work a few years into your career. While still a cadet, you're getting paid. Some companies aren't to keen to keep paying full 3/O or 2/O salary for the three term mates course.
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Though also note, sometimes it also comes down to the company if you sit the HND as they usually have to pay for this, and if they are not willing to, you may need to pay it yourself or not sit it well this is what I have heard anyway
                Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
                Adapt and over come
                Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

As far as I'm aware at the end of the day HNC/HND/PD all gain a CoC OOW ticket however as CD pointed out there are exemptions when it comes to the MCA examinations.
                  Also if you gained your CoC via the PD route it is less time at college when you come back to do your Mates ticket, around 17 weeks. Whereas if you did HNC/HND it's around 9 months.
                  The bird is the word

Comment

Sdot, wrong. Research people:

If you have a HNC, or came from the AB -> OOW route, 36 weeks:
                    http://www.warsashacademy.co.uk/cour...sedetails.aspx

If you have a HND, 13 weeks:

If you have an FD (or you spent 11 weeks topping up your HND to a BSc), 8 weeks:
                    Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Sdot View Post
                      Also if you gained your CoC via the PD route it is less time at college when you come back to do your Mates ticket, around 17 weeks. Whereas if you did HNC/HND it's around 9 months.
                      Just for clarification, for Mates ticket:

Post-HNC: Three terms at college to cover theory, sit SQA exams.
                      Post-HND: 13 weeks at college for SQA prep, sit SQA exams.
                      Post-FD/PD: No requirement to take Mates course but most do the 8 week course.

All are required to complete Proficiency in Medical Care short course, NARAS(M), MCA Signals and of course the MCA Oral.

Originally posted by tlloyd1983
                      If you have an FD (or you spent 11 weeks topping up your HND to a BSc), 8 weeks:
                      The BSc top up doesn't change anything when it comes to further tickets, it's purely academic. So those with the HND who have topped up still need to do the 13 week course. Unless you enter for your SQA exams independently and organise your own short courses, though I'm not sure taking the MCA/SQA written papers is possible independently.

This is a perennial topic so I'm going to try and get clarification from each college and post in an article.
                      Last edited by CharlieDelta; 25 January 2012, 06:57 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

And just to close the matter, if you have an FD or a HND, you can top up to a full BSc on this 11 week course:
                        Linkedin

Comment

The BSc top up doesn't change anything when it comes to further tickets, it's purely academic. So those with the HND who have topped up still need to do the 13 week course. Unless you enter for your SQA exams independently and organise your own short courses, though I'm not sure taking the MCA/SQA written papers is possible independently.
                          Interesting, I did not know that. Is that confirmed? A Warsash lecturer informed me otherwise, but the courses are so muddled up with all the different qualifications, easy to make a mistake.
                          Linkedin

Comment

As for the MCA signals course, is that a different one to the one we have already sat? Or just checking you haven't forgotten your morse code already. (*ahem* whoops)
                            Linkedin

Comment

Although this is interesting, how does it really work for engineers then? since it was mentioned it was different, I tried looking and got a little confused can anyone clear this up cheers
                              Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
                              Adapt and over come
                              Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Working...
                              X