Pay, Conditions and Benefits for Deck Cadets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay, Conditions and Benefits for Deck Cadets

Hi, I previously placed this thread in the anonymous section as I wasn't registered. I belive this is a more appropriate section so I hope the mods don't mind me re-posting in the hope of getting one or two more replies. I am interested in working in the merchant navy in particular as a deck officer cadet. I?m faced with the prospect of choosing what companies to apply for ? Clyde Marine Training has caught my eye due to the large and varied number of companies that sponsor via them.

Whilst the CMT website provides a brief overview of each company it?s rather difficult to judge the working practices and conditions of these companies. To this end I was hoping that some of you could give me some advice on the good (or bad) companies to work for.

The first consideration I had was the prospects of pay and employment after completing a cadetship and it appears from reading this forum that deep sea tankers and the likes offer the best prospects in this respect is this correct? That being said money really isn?t everything and a significant concern for me is the quality of the ships that you will be working on and the more importantly the conditions afforded to you i.e. internet, satellite phones, tv?s, food quality etc. I know this may appear trivial but I can imagine that if you?re staying on a ship for 4 months at a time the little things really do matter!

Finally one of the main reasons for me joining was to travel and see at bit of the world. It seems however that with some companies? shore leave can be limited whilst at sea. Could you advise what to expect in terms of shore leave and again what companies or ships provide the most generous opportunities for shore leave abroad? I should add that time not expecting days on end holidaying whilst at sea but it would be nice to get off the boat every now and then even if its just for a few hours! Sorry for the rather long winded comment but before committing myself to anything I feel it?s prudent to get a proper overview of both the industry and individual companies and the best way to do that is by speaking to the folks already working there.

Hi Tropicana, having looked at the replies that you got on the original thread, I don't think I can add much to alistair's reply. It's difficult when someone asks us to compare and contrast between different companies, because we only know what the one we are/were sponsored by is like. Some companies seem to have a worse reputation than otheres, but when you hear directly from a cadet working for that company, the answer tends to be that it's not as bad as it's been made out!

Basically though, you'll have to make a choice between good pay and good times. Cruise ships give you the good times, (crew bar, lots of port visits etc) but the pay is low, and the leave ratio when qualified is pretty rubbish. If you want the money, go for tankers, Shell, BP, Chevron etc, the pay is good, and once qualifed I believe the leave ratio is good, but you will be doing long trips (5 or 6 months) in which time don't expect to see much in the way of land. All the other companies are going to be somewhere on a scale between those two extremes. Bear in mind that really what you want to make sure of most as a cadet is that you get the best training you can. Once qualified you can make more informed decisions about who to work for, but I wouldn't base my choice of sponsor simply on what the perks are as a cadet. Don't forget that as a cadet no matter who you end up with, you won't get much leave, the pay is low and you will be at the bottom of the heap!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Just to add, Carnival now offer 1:1 leave ratio as a contract option, obviously with pay adjusted from the 2:1 contract.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I totally agree with size4. Cruise fun. Tankers money.

I'm with Clyde Marine who don't get me wrong I like being with but there are certain aspects to them I'm not to keen on. The first being that you are paid a certain amount, normally around ?170 a week with some months being a 4 week payment and others being 5 weeks. With this money you have to pay your own rent at the college. I know quite a few other companies pay your rent for you and then give you a certain amount. Some of these such a Maersk were getting their rent paid and still getting the same amount as I was before paying rent. My girlfriend who is with Maersk is also getting about ?800 more than me during her sea phase!

However if you are doing FD or you're an engine you do get a ?250 bonus at the end of each phase.(?500 on last phase). (With HND you only get bonus' after phase 3 completion.)

Comment

Originally posted by h.sinfield View Post
          I totally agree with size4. Cruise fun. Tankers money.

I'm with Clyde Marine who don't get me wrong I like being with but there are certain aspects to them I'm not to keen on. The first being that you are paid a certain amount, normally around ?170 a week with some months being a 4 week payment and others being 5 weeks. With this money you have to pay your own rent at the college. I know quite a few other companies pay your rent for you and then give you a certain amount. Some of these such a Maersk were getting their rent paid and still getting the same amount as I was before paying rent. My girlfriend who is with Maersk is also getting about ?800 more than me during her sea phase!

However if you are doing FD or you're an engine you do get a ?250 bonus at the end of each phase.(?500 on last phase). (With HND you only get bonus' after phase 3 completion.)
          No point complaining about it. You either did or didn't read the fine print before you signed your training agreement...
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Depending on which company you actually end up with when sponsored by Clyde or SSTG (Which is total pot luck, no matter what anyone says about you getting a choice) some cadets find that their sponsor gives them an additional wage on top of what they get as a Clyde/SSTG cadet. No it's not fair, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

So i've just got my offer for sponsorship. It says I will be paid ?175 per week which just covers my accommodation. Do people usually take out student loans to live off then?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinysides View Post
                So i've just got my offer for sponsorship. It says I will be paid ?175 per week which just covers my accommodation. Do people usually take out student loans to live off then?
                Thats 9100 pa which is about normal. Some get less some a bit more some are on different scales for college and sea. Some get accommodation fees paid. ?175 a week for accommodation seems very expensive. Don't forget there is no accommodation cost when at sea so lots save their money up.
                Caution on the student loans they do have to be paid back. Look at student bank accounts and see if they may suit you better.
                Do a bit of budget calculating check out the student websites some good tips for saving money.
                Student Money saver and NUS extra on Twitter often have useful freebies and discounts.

Comment

It depends - some people do, others don't. If you're straight from school then I guess you're unlikely to have money saved up, if you've been working hopefully you have some cash saved up to get you through the 3ish years.

Eligibility for a student loan will depend upon what course you are doing & also your parents income.

On a side note however, if you take the minimum non means tested student loan, you'll easily be able to pay that off within a year of qualifying / working if you so choose.
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yeah I already have some student debt so it's not ideal and nothing saved because I'm not that clever. I was accidentally looking at catered accommodation there (the ?175) so If I go for cheaper accommodation I do have more to work with but it'll still be tight.

Comment

Yeah I already have some student debt so it's not ideal and nothing saved because I'm not that clever. I was accidentally looking at catered accommodation there (the ?175) so If I go for cheaper accommodation I do have more to work with but it'll still be tight.
                      It's that first phase at college that's hard for people paying accommodation in advance too. Though when at sea you accumulate funds which help with the next bit at college if you are careful. There are threads where people had a whale of a time on a student loan! Hence my be cautious. Can't help it ex banker, when they had morales !

Just wondering how student loan works when normally the funds are paid direct to the college not the student, well in England they are. Maintenance loan of course is different. Grant if you can get it. Are you an independent student? Been self supporting for three years and under the threshold ?
                      Someone posted recently about working credit ( whatever that is, we don't have anything here for anyone under 25 even if they are unemployed it's bank of mum and dad or starve) have a search that maybe useful.

You are not the first to ask every year it comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                        It's that first phase at college that's hard for people paying accommodation in advance too. Though when at sea you accumulate funds which help with the next bit at college if you are careful. There are threads where people had a whale of a time on a student loan! Hence my be cautious. Can't help it ex banker, when they had morales !

Just wondering how student loan works when normally the funds are paid direct to the college not the student, well in England they are. Maintenance loan of course is different. Grant if you can get it. Are you an independent student? Been self supporting for three years and under the threshold ?
                        Someone posted recently about working credit ( whatever that is, we don't have anything here for anyone under 25 even if they are unemployed it's bank of mum and dad or starve) have a search that maybe useful.

You are not the first to ask every year it comes up.
                        I think your mixing up the "student loan" with the "tuition fee" payment - while ultimately they are issued by the same people (usually) the student loan is paid direct to your bank account - where as your tuition fees are claimed / paid to the university / college.
                        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yeah the tuition fee is paid directly to the college by my sponsoring company I guess. I think it will be a SAAS loan if i can get it, don't fancy living off a few hundred quid.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                            I think your mixing up the "student loan" with the "tuition fee" payment - while ultimately they are issued by the same people (usually) the student loan is paid direct to your bank account - where as your tuition fees are claimed / paid to the university / college.
                            Nope don't think so, with the tuition fee loans, money is paid direct to the uni or college and maintenance loan and or grant is paid direct to the student from SLC England.

Anyway in case anyone needs the info from different places here are some links. Devolution has meant they all have their own fee costs depending on where you live and where you go to study, such a useful way of spending taxpayers money having three different ways.

For crown dependencies it's a whole new game you will not get anything unless parents are on very low incomes, IOM are much better. PM me I have endless amounts of info and contacts.

For English students
                            https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants
                            Here is Scottish students
                            http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/..._available.htm
                            Northern Irish students
                            http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/pl...YAP_1516_D.PDF
                            Welsh students.
                            http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk...x#.VcLyEEqkqK1

Comment

Stop moaning you lot , I have done my degree in a different area and I have paid for everything by my self, As for cadetship alone it cost around 30000 nowadays . So you not pushing yourself into any loan agreements , as with Clyde if you drop out you only pay ?3000 which is nothing really compared to how much the sponsor willing to spend on you . Check other countries there no such thing as sponsoring, you will look for a sea phase practice all by your self and pay for everything .

Comment

Working...
                              X