Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining as a Cadet with a mortgage!

Hi folks

I have just registered today but i've been reading for a while.

I know that a Cadetship is not about the wages and all of that comes afterwards, however i am a 28 year old engaged male with a mortgage and bills etc and i know i'd struggle hugely to keep afloat in any situation for three years whilst training on a tiny wage. I've been having a look at the RFA and they seem to pay the best from day 1 which would leave me a bit more comfortable that the bills will get paid. I am wondering if anybody knows any other companies that pay cadets above the average? i am asking purely to see if its feasable for me to even bother applying to anyone other than the RFA. I will be looking to join as a FD engi cadet.

Many Thanks

This is also relevant to my interests. That smile of happiness I get on payday turns to tears of despair when I see the pitifully small number in my bank account in the 1st of every month.

As it is I would just leech off my wife for the time of the cadetship, but it would be still be nice to figure out how to stay reasonably solvent for the duration from people in similar situations.
    "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

SSTG cadets always seemed to be quite well off.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I guess this would depend on how much the mortgage is? Bearing in mind that if your property is nowhere near one of the maritime colleges then you will also have to pay rent there! As an RFA FD engineer cadet you will be heading to fleetwood and will be on just over ?1k a month after tax.
        Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by The H View Post
          I guess this would depend on how much the mortgage is? Bearing in mind that if your property is nowhere near one of the maritime colleges then you will also have to pay rent there! As an RFA FD engineer cadet you will be heading to fleetwood and will be on just over ?1k a month after tax.

I'll be travelling and lodging wherever i go, our mortgage isn't massive but its enough to be a huge struggle if i go from my current wage of ?1600 after tax to the ?400 or so i've seen at some companies.

Comment

I had a mate on my Furiture Making course that had a mortgage to pay, he didn't have a job but managed to complete his studies OK. I think 'The H' has a point; paying rent and a mortgare would be a killer, but then you have travelling costs to consider.

Whinnie I would look at Student Finance options, and maybe even The Princes Trust as they can sometimes help you out when you retrain.

Comment

Im a cadet with a mortgage, and im just having to deal with it for 3 years. I extended the life of my mortgage to the max (34 yrs) to get the payments down and finances are pretty tight, but it will be worth it in the long run.

I know a cadet working with SSTG who is getting decent pay.

Comment

Working...
              X