X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by penfold View Post
    Do they make Ex pocket torches? I read Maglite and had visions of this year's cadet cohort collectively coming up the gangway wielding a 6D 'it's not an offensive weapon, officer' truncheon.
    In fairness, I have a Chinese policeman's torch, which is bright enough to blind pilots and even has a setting that can cause an epileptic fit (yeah, we don't know why), but it was much better than the batton style torch we had on board...

Leave a comment:

• penfold
    replied
    Do they make Ex pocket torches? I read Maglite and had visions of this year's cadet cohort collectively coming up the gangway wielding a 6D 'it's not an offensive weapon, officer' truncheon.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by penfold View Post
    I'd question the need to take your own torch; it's basic equipment that should be in plentiful supply onboard. Why weigh your baggage down with unnecessary ballast? In any case Ex-rated torches are often a bit crap in terms of light output and wildly expensive.
    Unnecessary ballast? Mine fits in my pocket! Hardly extra weight...

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    and I still cant tell the difference between an ex Bright Star and the non Ex version, both are equally crap and never work when you need them.

Not sure you need ex torch for every tank crawl on a box boat and there should always be plenty of Woolf Lights or similar knocking about, taking a AA maglight isnt a bad idea and fits in hand luggage (mine lives there pretty much all the time)

Leave a comment:

• penfold
    replied
    Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
    Doesn't matter what ship type you're on. If you're going to be crawling around tanks then you'll need an intrinsic torch. Better off taking one...
    I'd question the need to take your own torch; it's basic equipment that should be in plentiful supply onboard. Why weigh your baggage down with unnecessary ballast? In any case Ex-rated torches are often a bit crap in terms of light output and wildly expensive.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    It must be broken again....

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    Well a big interviewer at the very least ....Yeah they are pretty much the biggest game in town as they Umbrella lots of other companies making it cheaper for them to "have cadets".

I am also wondering if the search even works given that we have several CM and Maersk threads of a similar vain AND a thread just for interviews....

Leave a comment:

• SWonder
    replied
    Sigh..............and again.............

Welcome to the site Calumn799, if you just have a look above your post you will see some questions asked to Engine Cadets, also use the search function in the top right hand corner and you will find lots of threads on Interviews.

Part of me thinks we should have a section on the Forum that Says CLYDE MARINE INTERVIEWS, like it does for Aspiring cadets etc.....the number of times this pops up is staggering! I guess Clyde really are a big recruiter.

Leave a comment:

• Calumn799
    replied
    What questions are asked to aspiring engineering cadets?

Leave a comment:

• Rmar11
    replied
    Well, I had an interview for CMT on Thursday, it was for engine, but i imagine the interviews will be relatively similar, the interview is more like a test, the questions/answers are scored with points, they get added up and then they decide on whether your interview was successful or not. Here are some of the questions i was asked:

What would you find in an engine room (You can transpose these questions to deck)
    What will your responsabilitys be as a engine officer?
    What is the ranking system of the engine room? (Cadet, junior, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, chief ect ect)
    How will you deal with the isolation of working on a ship?

Dont worry to much about the technical questions, they only asked me about 2 of the ships and i hazarded a guess (An accurate one mind )

Just chill out, its pretty laid back

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by hatty View Post
    thanks Dan x
    If not then there is us and google.

Leave a comment:

• hatty
    replied
    thanks Dan x

Leave a comment:

• danielbv07
    replied
    Hi Hatty, I think Clyde still send out a couple of information leaflets to you when they write to you confirming the details of your interview; all of this information is available on the Clyde Marine Training website. Just make sure you have read the about us/careers sections of the CMT website from cover to cover (so to speak), if you haven't already that is

Dan

Leave a comment:

• hatty
    replied
    Originally posted by danielbv07 View Post
    Hi Hatty, I had an interview with Clyde a while back (also at Fleetwood) and from what I can remember it was a pretty relaxed affair. I think deck interviews tend to be slightly less technical than engineering, so if you know one end of a ship from the other and have read their literature you will be absolutely fine!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

As for the post about torches, I presume that means I won't be able to make use of my maglite

cheers keep hearing about this stuff you should read, do they send you it or is it on there website or what? cheers x

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SWonder View Post
    Ah righto.......guess I totally missed the point!!!

I will pick one up then, thanks once again
    Not a problem. I've set up a big tanker thread so if you have any more tanker questions, go on there. I've served or work with all different tankers out there so ask away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X